Oil change . . . doh!! I forgot something important
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Oil change . . . doh!! I forgot something important within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So today I changed my oil - (mobil 1 ftw) and as I finished I found something that bothered me ...

Oil change . . . doh!! I forgot something important

So today I changed my oil - (mobil 1 ftw) and as I finished I found something that bothered me sitting at the bottom of my old oil pan . . .

the damn washer that was supposed to go on my oil drain plug.

Grrrrr . . . . -

So I can either A) try to be as fast as possible at unscrewing, then rescrewing and add more $$$ Mobil one accordingly, or

B) Leave it screwed in like it is, keep the washer and not worry about it till next oil change.

How critical is that little guy?? HELP! What should i do?? can I get away with it for this one change??

thanks in advance.
    SOLD: 2004 WR Blue WRX
    SOLD:2006 WR Blue Wrx - Perrin 25mm Front Sway + 22mm Rear Adjustable Sway and Kartboy Endlinks - Nitto Invo 225/45/17 - Opensource STG One.
    CURRENT: 2006 Legacy GT Limited - STOCK (for now)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think id put the washer on there, Its there for a reason. you should loose much oil maybe a qt if your fast enough and loosing a qt of oil is better then some how the plug leaking a few miles down the road and looseing all the oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd watch your car for a little while. It seems possible that you could get away with a minimal/no leak without the washer. Give it a shot - if it leaks, do it over.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

bump for more opinions
    SOLD: 2004 WR Blue WRX
    SOLD:2006 WR Blue Wrx - Perrin 25mm Front Sway + 22mm Rear Adjustable Sway and Kartboy Endlinks - Nitto Invo 225/45/17 - Opensource STG One.
    CURRENT: 2006 Legacy GT Limited - STOCK (for now)

That washer is actually a gasket to prevent the oil from seeping out of the filter. However I have forgetten to install that without major problems. It's always a good idea to always make sure that is installed.
    Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

I got away w/ it but will be puting it back on for the next oil change. I've had it off for 3200 miles or so.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

ODJ
    I've READ that the oil drain plug washer's primary purpose is to keep us from stripping the threads in the oil pan when replacing the plug.

I would think the plug would seal well enough on it's own for a while. If you didn't over-torque the plug, I would say you'll be OK until your next oil change (just keep a sharp eye out for any signs of leakage).

I think the tranny drain plug uses the same crush washer. When I get an OEM oil filter from the dealership, the parts guy includes a new crush washer, but he won't give me any extras. Does anyone know how to obtain these washers in bulk? It would be nice to have some lying around.
    Last edited by ODJ; 03-12-2007 at 04:02 PM.
    UNSPOILT BY PROGRESS

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
    I've READ that the oil drain plug washer's primary purpose is to keep us from stripping the threads in the oil pan when replacing the plug.

I would think the plug would seal well enough on it's own for a while. If you didn't over-torque the plug, I would say you'll be OK until your next oil change (just keep a sharp eye out for any signs of leakage).

For the record, the tranny drain plug uses the same crush washer. When I get an OEM oil filter from the dealership, the parts guy includes a new crush washer, but he won't give me any extras. Does anyone know how to obtain these washers in bulk? It would be nice to have some lying around.
    Thats ridiculous - my dealership will sell me a handful and I just keep them in my change drawer.

If it don't leak don't worry about it...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes.

For the record, the tranny drain plug uses the same crush washer.
    No, the gearbox uses a copper washer that's a different size and not a crush design. The parts numbers are different too.

Does anyone know how to obtain these washers in bulk? It would be nice to have some lying around.
    Buy as many as you want from any dealer.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Thats ridiculous - my dealership will sell me a handful and I just keep them in my change drawer.
    + 1 me too
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

For the record, the tranny drain plug uses the same crush washer. When I get an OEM oil filter from the dealership, the parts guy includes a new crush washer, but he won't give me any extras. Does anyone know how to obtain these washers in bulk? It would be nice to have some lying around.
    Naapa, any auto store. If that fails find a subaru vendor online I'm sure they'll sell them to you in bulk. Your parts guy is a ****hole.

ODJ
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    No, the gearbox uses a copper washer that's a different size and not a crush design. The parts numbers are different too.
    Hmm, the dealership parts guy told me they were the same washer. It's been a while since I changed my tranny fluid, but I thought that the two washers looked the same when I had them side by side. Damn, now I'm worried that I've got the wrong washer for my tranny drain plug.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Your parts guy is a ****hole.
    And Robert's your father's brother. The simplest answer is usually the best.
    UNSPOILT BY PROGRESS

I Support ClubWRX
    Hmm, the dealership parts guy told me they were the same washer. It's been a while since I changed my tranny fluid, but I thought that the two washers looked the same when I had them side by side. Damn, now I'm worried that I've got the wrong washer for my tranny drain plug.
    On my bugeye 5MT they are different washers with different part numbers, different design, different costs, and different materials. Are we talking about the same washer? Are you comparing the crush washer for the oil filter with the washer that goes on the gearbox drain plug? If your fluid is still in the gearbox (as opposed to on the ground, say) I'd not worry too much about what's already been done.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Your parts guy is a ****hole.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.