New motor, starting issues
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New motor, starting issues within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2002 WRX and blew the old ej20. I built a new ej20 for the car. It is ...

Tallahassee, FL is home... Memphis, TN for school

New motor, starting issues

I have a 2002 WRX and blew the old ej20. I built a new ej20 for the car. It is a totally stock motor. I transplanted the intake, TGV, Injectors, wiring harness as a whole to the new motor. Now I am trying to fire it up and it will not run. Sometimes it sputters like it wants to run but never does. I have plenty of fuel (spark plugs are wet after trying to crank after various tests, but no spark after an initial spark. This to me means a ground, as well as a friend of mine who is a certified tech. So I went through the motor checking all of my connections and grounds, but nothing was obviously wrong.

When I check for spark it has spark for the first revolution but after that nothing. The car seems to be flooding. Also, the spark isn't anything compared to my old '68 Firebird's ignition system.

When I followed the directions in the manual for trouble shooting I passed all the way through to the end where it said to check for a loose connection at the ECU or it was a bad Coil Pack. I doubt that all of the coil packs are bad. Since I reused them from the old motor which was running find except for the rod knocking. Also, i reused the sensors from the old motor because i knew that they worked before the motor was pulled.

As for some background on the car:
    '02 WRX with 162k on everything but the motor. It was completely stock until the build, and now has a downpipe.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Pzary3233; 03-11-2007 at 01:40 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ignition timing maybe?

by that do you mean cam and crank position sensors or Timing belt timing? there isn't an external "timing" to set like on a distributor operated car...

may be you have wrong cam timing? check the camshaft alignment

Pulled the front cover off to double check that, and everything was a-ok! However even if my cam timing was off say a tooth, it would still run. The sensors are known to be good as they were on my old motor which ran up until I pulled it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Is the crank sensor plugged in?

Yep, and I switched it out for a new one as well!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pzary3233 View Post
    Yep, and I switched it out for a new one as well!
    Any chance the wiring got pinched?

I went through the wiring wire by wire checking each from the connector b136 (I think) in the ECU to the connector plug, then ground. For the injectors all three wires per the factory service manual.

I Support ClubWRX
    I went through the wiring wire by wire checking each from the connector b136 (I think) in the ECU to the connector plug, then ground. For the injectors all three wires per the factory service manual.
    ^^ I like this guy.

Just throwing out the obvious here, did you check the ECU fuse? (though it should be good if the injectors are pulsing)

haha thanks,

yeah, all fuses are good. And it gets a "glow" for the first spark of the cyl then nothing. It will SOMETIMES sputter but quickly die.

I Support ClubWRX
    haha thanks,

yeah, all fuses are good. And it gets a "glow" for the first spark of the cyl then nothing. It will SOMETIMES sputter but quickly die.
    I'm sure you checked, but there is a ground strap I believe from the firewall to the bellhousing that is known to cause some gremlins when left disconnected.

Did you use your original harness, or the one that came with the engine? What year did the harness come from?

Where on the bellhousing? I do not recall a ground strap when I took the motor out. just the ground that goes straight from the motor to the battery and from the bat to the fender.

I used the original harness and only unplugged the things that HAD to be unplugged to get the motor out. ie the crank, cam, and knock sensors, rear o2, EGT, and the three large connectors two on the drivers side and one on the pass. side.

I Support ClubWRX
    Where on the bellhousing? I do not recall a ground strap when I took the motor out. just the ground that goes straight from the motor to the battery and from the bat to the fender.

I used the original harness and only unplugged the things that HAD to be unplugged to get the motor out. ie the crank, cam, and knock sensors, rear o2, EGT, and the three large connectors two on the drivers side and one on the pass. side.
    I would have to get back under my hood. It's been a few years since I had my trans out. I'll be by my garage later. I'll stop and take a look.

Awesome, no rush as I decided to say screw it and leave it in my friends garage this week while I go home for spring break... Now I get to drive my car with NO electrical crap! :-D

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.