New motor, starting issues - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on New motor, starting issues within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Trainrex I'm sure you checked, but there is a ground strap I believe from the firewall to ...

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    I'm sure you checked, but there is a ground strap I believe from the firewall to the bellhousing that is known to cause some gremlins when left disconnected.

Did you use your original harness, or the one that came with the engine? What year did the harness come from?
    Yep, directly in the middle, you almost need the IC off to see it well else view from the passenger side.
    Sounds like either timing or fuel. When I did the fuel leak mod I accidentally swapped the fuel line connectors ( stock routing is not intuitive ). It fired for one second then just chugged. I would guess it provides just enough fuel pressure to wet the plugs but not enough to run. Verify the hood sticker for proper hookup.
    Some of my previous vehicles had fuel pressure sensors that would cut spark when too low. Might be why they light for the first revolution then stop?!? Not sure if Subie uses something like this.
    Good luck, if the fuel lines or ground strap don't help I might re-check the timing belt alignment again.
    2005 Legacy GT - stock for now
    1991 Galant VR4 - Sold
    2002 WRX Wagon - Sold

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Tallahassee, FL is home... Memphis, TN for school
    I do have the intercooler off at the moment, but i don't have an idea of what you're talking about... maybe a picture if possible??????

Fuel line routing... now THAT could be a part of the problem! I remember not being exactly sure that I got it correct, but since the plugs were wet I assumed that it was ok. Have a picture of the fuel line routing, because my under hood sticker is no longer there.

THANKS!

I'll track down a camera today and post after work the fuel lines and rear ground strap.
    1991 Galant VR4 - Sold
    2002 WRX Wagon - Sold

That would be great! Thanks man!!!

Aargh, the wife took off with the camera...
    Until it comes home tho-

Fuel line connections, when looking at the 3 barbs above the intake:
    1. Top/highest = center hose from fuel filter
    2. Middle = topmost fuel return hose that has the large black/round flow valve
    3. Bottom/lowest = lower fuel return hose

Ground strap connects from triangular brace that is attached at the firewall to the center/top mounting boss on the bell housing.

Sorry about the verbal, one day me and the wifey will start communicating...
    1991 Galant VR4 - Sold
    2002 WRX Wagon - Sold

That's ok! Thanks for the description. I sent an email off to my friend where my car is currently in pieces (again) to see if he can check for me. Pics would still be great when you get around to them!

Quote Originally Posted by Pzary3233 View Post
    That's ok! Thanks for the description. I sent an email off to my friend where my car is currently in pieces (again) to see if he can check for me. Pics would still be great when you get around to them!
    Dangit, wife left camera at parents house. Check out the link below for dude sellng his TMIC. The 3rd pic down shows the fuel line routing and the very last pic shows the ground strap ( right next to the rear engine strut dogbone ).

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=164722
    1991 Galant VR4 - Sold
    2002 WRX Wagon - Sold

Humm.... Thanks! I think that ground might be part of the problem, I don't remember hooking that back up.

though I remember it being there!

I still can't really make out the fuel lines, but I am sure that if I study it a bit more I'll get it.

but DANG I want that TMIC!
    Last edited by Pzary3233; 03-15-2007 at 03:17 PM.

Well all of my connections there are correct as well...

I am VERY tempted to take it to the dealer....

Alright, so I was able to finally make it throw a code. It ended up being for the CKP (crank position sensor) so i got a new one and replaced the others that I had been trying to use... still the same code. So I peeled back all of the tape on the wiring harness to check to problems, none were found on the intake manifold side of the system.

So tomorrow it is on to tackling the ECM side of things and hook it up to a scope to see if the ECM is giving out the proper signal.

Any ideas?

More to the Saga...

Continued with using a scope to try and figure out what was up... nada. No signal from the CPK...

Sooooooo swaped out three different sensors and still nothing.

I gave up and the dealer is having a fun time with it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.