valve ticking or lifter

This is a discussion on valve ticking or lifter within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an 02 Subaru WRX with the stock 2.0 motor that sounds like a valve is ticking. Kind of ...

valve ticking or lifter

I have an 02 Subaru WRX with the stock 2.0 motor that sounds like a valve is ticking. Kind of like a sound when you run low on oil. I just drove it across the country and got on it pretty hard a few times...I did an oil change when I got here and it was a quart low... It hit the rev limit a couple times too. The car runs good and idles great but is super annoying. I kind of feel like it's sluggish at low RPMs too or maybe I'm just paranoid because of the noise. Sometimes when I get on it hard it does like this fuel cutoff feeling and doesn't want to go anymore in fourth gear as it's revving up before redline or maybe that's just another problem. The ticking is RPM related so it gets faster if I rev it. I'm trying to figure out what the problem is and I'm taking it to the dealer monday to have it checked out but is there anything I could do prior to eliminate certain things that it could be? Any help or past experience with this problem would be helpful. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i have the same problem and i cant figure it out i drives me crazy

I Support ClubWRX
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

^^^ +1

Need more info...

I'm not sure how long you all have had your vehicles (years or new to the WRX), but if the later, these engines are naturally noisey and sound like a sewing machine. All that cam, valve, injector noise.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)