hey. how often should i change my oil if i use mobile 1 5w30
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on hey. how often should i change my oil if i use mobile 1 5w30 within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey how often should i change my oil if i use the mobile one 5w30 syntatic please let me know ...

hey. how often should i change my oil if i use mobile 1 5w30

hey how often should i change my oil if i use the mobile one 5w30 syntatic please let me know thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    To maintain your warranty...3-3,500 miles and replace the OEM filter with an OEM one.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    To maintain your warranty...3-3,500 miles and replace the OEM filter with an OEM one.

very true.....but i go about every 5,000 miles with M1.....and a stock filter

EDIT..He's out of warranty by the way
    PSM Bugeye..Cobb Stage 2

I Support ClubWRX
    Without getting an oil analysis, there's no for sure way to know. I think a 5,000 mile OCI is just fine with Mobil 1, as long as you aren't beating the crap out of the car with track days all the time, etc.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

well i use mobile 1 10w30...more backfire ha, other than that though depending on how hard you run your car and if your running a huge downpipe and exhaust check it every 2-3 weeks or so.

i change mine every 2k but i have nothing better to do
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

I run mobil 1 10w30, and i change it every 6k miles. But i change the filter ever 3k. Oil always comes out as clean as it should.
    NEW!! 09 WRX 5-door Black Base
    Old - 2006 Geep GC Hemi
    Older - 06 M3 Vert
    Oldest - 04 WRX WRB - cobb stage 2, borla 3" exhaust, erz dp

Quote Originally Posted by rr1911 View Post
    i change mine every 2k but i have nothing better to do
    haha, i'll take some money if u have spare lol. at 37ish bucks with filter that adds up to a lot.
    NEW!! 09 WRX 5-door Black Base
    Old - 2006 Geep GC Hemi
    Older - 06 M3 Vert
    Oldest - 04 WRX WRB - cobb stage 2, borla 3" exhaust, erz dp

just check it everytime you fill up that will let you know if it is getting low or if you need to change it.

I talked to a 17 year subaru tech and he said you can do the 7500 mile oil/filter change as stated in the owners manual if you use a good oil like valvoline synpower 5w40 (not the 5 or 10w30) or any ACEA spec A3 oil. He stated most mobil1 oils are not rated ACEA A3 so it wont go to 7500 miles as safe. I thought valvoline seemed an odd recommendation until I found out that the 5w40 version is popular with VW freaks some of which go 10k on it with long engine life to boot.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by seth7685 View Post
    just check it everytime you fill up that will let you know if it is getting low or if you need to change it.
    Judge whether or not it's due to be changed visually? First time I've heard that on this site.

I'm with Tegs. 5000 miles should be okay if there aren't extraordinary circumstances.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Judge whether or not it's due to be changed visually? First time I've heard that on this site.

I'm with Tegs. 5000 miles should be okay if there aren't extraordinary circumstances.
    +1

As long as its not over a very extended period of time, and there is not a lot of moister getting in the oil(being stored for long periods of time)
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeythejew View Post
    I talked to a 17 year subaru tech and he said you can do the 7500 mile oil/filter change as stated in the owners manual if you use a good oil like valvoline synpower 5w40 (not the 5 or 10w30) or any ACEA spec A3 oil. He stated most mobil1 oils are not rated ACEA A3 so it wont go to 7500 miles as safe.
    He is correct based on the data I got from my motor and data I've seen posted elsewhere. There are several M1 variants that are ACEA A3. Other specs to look for if you can't find an ACEA are MB229.5 (or 3 in a pinch), BMW Long Life 0x, and/or VW 505x.

Commonly available M1 ACEA A3 variants include 0W-40 and 15W-50. The 5W and 10W 30s used to be derived from the same base and were A1 (not bad but not A3 quality; I'd still use them anyway, they're fine).

I use M1 0W-40 and, although it's not as robust as their now extinct 5W-40 Truck/SUV, it is quite good. It will thin out initially and then thicken as time goes on and it remains generally within spec (a true 40).

Also keep an eye out for Mobil Delvac1 5W-40, a high-boost, high-temp, high-load oil with an SL rating that is intended for serious fleet users. This is what they used to sell as 5W-40 Truck/SUV and works great in our motors (it's overkill frankly).

As to visual inspection, if you think of it, clear oil after several K miles of use is worrisome. The colour changes as the oil changes chemical composition (it's additives are depleted and it solubilizes junk out of the motor like it should). In two of my cars I'm using M1 for at least 5000 miles a pop; one is the EJ205 with M1 0W-40 and the other is a Honda V6 3.5L with 5W-20. Both start out honey coloured and get darker. Both are changed well before they are "done" at 5,000 or so and both are dark brown/black at that point. No way to tell by colour; you need oil analysis data to tell.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    <-- Just received my shipment of Amsoil 5W-40 for teh summer. Eager to see how it does...I've read very good things about it.

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/afl.aspx

I'm giving my current M1 5W-30 a few more weeks of service and then changing it out before we get our lovely 124 degree summer temps.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    <-- Just received my shipment of Amsoil 5W-40 for teh summer. Eager to see how it does...I've read very good things about it.

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/afl.aspx

I'm giving my current M1 5W-30 a few more weeks of service and then changing it out before we get our lovely 124 degree summer temps.
    I've not tried their products (philosophical differences) but:

1. I hear good things about your particular choice.
    2. They've been very professional in their responses to several questions I emailed them in the past.

I think their 5W-40 is intended for MB229.5 and VW505 applications (although it's probably not spec'ed formally), so it should be quite robust and very competent. I expect you'll be quite pleased actually.

Can you point me to the guy at Mobil that decided to kill off their 5W-40 Truck/SUV (the cheap, easy to find, rebadged Delvac1)? I'd like to beat him senseless and I'll put in a few kicks on your behalf too if you prefer.

BTW regaring your weather, if you have metal railings that are flat, you actually can fry an egg on them (it won't work on a sidewalk like the story goes, but a metal railing ought to).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.