Blown Motor options
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Blown Motor options within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I took my 02 wrx in to get a compression test because it was misfiring and the test showed 150-150-150-15...so ...

Blown Motor options

I took my 02 wrx in to get a compression test because it was misfiring and the test showed 150-150-150-15...so theres basically no compression in cylinder 1...
    The shop basically told me my options were to sell it or drop a new engine in.
    would it be better to have it rebuilt? the car already has 130k
    where would be a good place to find another engine?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't spend a cent on repairing or replacing a motor that's blown if you don't know why it failed. Do you know what happened? If so, how will you correct what happened? Once you've sorted that, then you could consider options.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Don't spend a cent on repairing or replacing a motor that's blown if you don't know why it failed. Do you know what happened? If so, how will you correct what happened? Once you've sorted that, then you could consider options.
    The force is strong with this one.

You would also need to know what the extent of the damage is.

Could you get by with a rebuild, does it need a new bottom end or are there little bits of metal in everything and you need a whole new motor?
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

the car still runs on 3 cylinders...
    the shop basically wants 800 dollars to take the motor apart and diagnose whats wrong...after the motor is apart im kinda committed to getting it repaired...

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you modify the motor? How? What were you doing when the motor failed?
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

how about taking the motor yourself? ofcourse if you have the necesary resources.
    It doesnt take much time to take the engine out in WRX. Dismantle it and see what the problem is. Any way if the engine would nee a replacement it would be already taken out and you will save 800$ on diagnostics.
    I do most of the work with my car myself, because where I live there are no good repair shops allmost in every one work dumbheads who screw everything up

the motor is stock...no mods...one day it was fine the next it was idling rough with a cel...i dont really have the resources to pull the engine myself...does 800 sound right for diagnostics?...and 4k+ for a new motor install...

I Support ClubWRX
    Is this a used car? Motors don't simply fail for no reason, especially stock motors. Have you maintained the car according to the schedule? Did you use the car for motorsport? If there is a logical reason you can figure out that explains why the motor failed, the $800 would be best spent toward a replacement. Are you the first owner? Do you have a service history for the car?

I bought the car used...it has all the service records and none of them ever indicate engine problems...the only thing I can think of was it started having problems after driving in the snow...I was mostly driving at high rpms...but i dont think that cause any problems...

I Support ClubWRX
    It's hard to say what to do without knowing the history of the car and making an educated guess as to what may have happened given the history. Sustained high rpm could be a problem, as could oil starvation, high boost, and a number of other things. When you did the compression test, did they follow up the dry test with a wet test or a leak-down? That'd tell you what the damage is more specifically. Did they pull the plug?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.