help! check engine light

This is a discussion on help! check engine light within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; heyy guys. i made an account because i had to ask you guys about this issue i'm having -_-; i ...

Exclamation help! check engine light

heyy guys. i made an account because i had to ask you guys about this issue i'm having -_-;

i got a blue 2003 wrx last week from a used car dealership. it had been modified and it has an injen cold air intake, perrin pulley crank, STi intercooler, Turbosmart bov, some sort of uppipe and downpipe, an aftermarket turbo (dont know what kind, but it says IHI 90.8 on it), aftermarket fuel rails, and some sort of exhaust system (not quite sure what kind of exhaust it is.. but it has subaru plates on it and it is much bigger than stock and has a different, bigger exhaust tip).

the day after i bought it the check engine light and the abs light turned on, so we went to the nearest subaru dealership and had it checked out. it turns out that it was running rich because of an o2 sensor which had wiring that had burned onto the uppipe, and the abs engine on the left front wheel had gone out. they replaced the o2 sensor and the abs engine and told me that it was good to go, but when i got it home and was driving it around for a while the check engine light turned on again. i was driving it pretty hard but i had let it warm up enough beforehand.

i dont know if this is what turned on the check engine light but im having this sort of problem.. when i slow down to a stop sometimes, the rpms go VERY low (almost to 0) and it seems as if the car is gonna stall and turn off (even the gauge backlights dim), but then the rpms come back up and the car goes back to normal.

my friend who also has a 2003 wrx, which is even modified similarly to mine, says that it might be my battery or my alternator.

is this really the problem? if so, how much would the repairs be?

help please! thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've been going through this same hassle on my 03 wrx with 40k miles. Just took it in and they said it needed new plugs. They did that and ran Motorvac on it to clean all the carbon and such out of it. So far the car runs just fine, knock on wood.
    VeeDub --> Subie

Go to autozone or wherever and have the code pulled. That will help when we know the code.
    -John
    Different Strokes
    Dirty Crew #2002
    Mods in profile.

I Support ClubWRX
    Adjust or remove the BOV.

+1 on getting the code pulled. That will tell u the problem. Idle problems sometimes are due to bov's. You may have to adjust it if its possible.
    My money pit

i've been having a problem like that where when i first turn my car on it will almost sit at like 500rpm's but it will shake like a cammed V8... I got the code pulled it said engine miss fire in cylinder 1 and 3. I know that my serpentine belt needs to be changed so I was wondering if maybe that was effecting something or if its just a wire or plug... I just changed my plugs about 10,000 miles ago so i figured those would still be ok.
    96 Mustang: Shorty Headers, X-pipe, Electronic cut out, Air silencer Delete, K&N air filter, really sticky tires
    (14.32 @ 96.7mph)

02 bugeye: exedy oem clutch, kybAGX struts, momo short-throw shifter, steel braided brake lines, stoptech rotors and stock rims (the 17inch wheel just weighed too much), 14.232 @ 94.75mph