How often do you add coolant?

This is a discussion on How often do you add coolant? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Since I've owned my '05 WRX w/ 45k miles I've had to top up the coolant (level is at lower ...

How often do you add coolant?

Since I've owned my '05 WRX w/ 45k miles I've had to top up the coolant (level is at lower line while engine is hot) three times. Is this pretty normal or is there a chance I've got a head gasket or heater core issue?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It doesn't sound that unusual, but there are lots of known areas for minor leaks. If you've had it all 45k sounds like your due for a flush - get a pressure test while your at it.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    It doesn't sound that unusual, but there are lots of known areas for minor leaks. If you've had it all 45k sounds like your due for a flush - get a pressure test while your at it.
    + 1

also add water weter
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

I ve had a same problem with my WRX. I had to add coolant once a week, i thought i had problem with a head gasket or something but in my case it was just a bad hose clamp.
    When the engine was runing at low rpm, there were no signs of leakage, so I thoght it something inside.

I Support ClubWRX
    See this:

http://clubwrx.net/forums/showthread...t=coolant+seap

There are other threads like it. My story has not changed since then, incidentally.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks for the good feedback. I'm taking it to the dealer for a pressure check.

I'll do the flush when I get it back.

Thanks again!

Next time you change your oil, do yourself a big favor and get a oil analysis done. Go to a site called blackstone labs and get the kit sent to you for free. You only pay when you send it in. This WILL tell you if coolant is going in your oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    I use Blackstone too. In my case, they never reported any coolant in the oil. However, I have to top up the overflow reservoir between coolant drains and the level can vary widely. Repeated pressure tests revealed no leaks either. A mystery I just live with.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.