help with sounds

This is a discussion on help with sounds within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I searched around for an answer but didn't find a definite one... I've only had my rex (04', 4eat) for ...

help with sounds

I searched around for an answer but didn't find a definite one...

I've only had my rex (04', 4eat) for a couple weeks and it's my first turbo. I've been hearing a very subtle phsst, whoosh, etc. sound at about 2500 rpms. (I know that's a bad description) I guess I'm wondering if that's normal? I'm trying to learn my new car and the sounds that it makes so that hopefully I'll know when something isn't right.

Anyway I only hear the noise at low speeds at around 2500-3000 rpms. Any faster and the other noises take over and I can't hear it anymore. From my searches I"m wondering if it could be the sound of the turbo starting to spool. The wastegate opening? (I don't know anything about the wastegate other than I think it opens and closes, right) My car is completely stock. I don't have a boost gauge yet so I can't help you there. (I will be getting one soon though)

Any help on this would be great. If anyone is better at describing sounds and can tell me some other normal sounds to watch for that would be helpful too. Like I said I want to learn all of the normal sounds my car makes.
    04' WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Happen when you push the clutch in or let off the gas after acceleration? Sound kind of like a brief release of air?

Quote Originally Posted by StylesJim View Post
    Happen when you push the clutch in or let off the gas after acceleration? Sound kind of like a brief release of air?
    I have the automatic, but when I let off the gas I usually hear a brief release of air. But I also hear a different sound during slow acceleration as described in op. Any idea what either sound is?
    04' WRX

Banned
    Boost leak perhaps? What are you boosting at?

I Support ClubWRX
    Probably just spool. Ever heard a big deisel truck whistling a bit? That is the normal sound of a turbo.

Sounds Normal to me....
    PSM Bugeye..Cobb Stage 2

I'm thinking it's probably just the spool that I'm hearing and it sounds like everything is normal. Thanks for the replies.
    04' WRX

noise from turbo

i have an 04 wrx and am having the same noises

sound like sipping soda through a straw

noise started at 35,000 miles and is still with me.

subaru dealer says its normal ===turbo spooling up

i dont agree

my gas mileage has also dropped 20% since noise arrived.