Heater fan only works on 4

This is a discussion on Heater fan only works on 4 within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I started my car the other day and the heater fan was on 3 and seemed a little louder ...

Heater fan only works on 4

So I started my car the other day and the heater fan was on 3 and seemed a little louder than usual so i turned it off. the next time i tried to use it it would only worn on 4. I bought a new electric part for the switch and tried that but same problem. I can't think of anything else that would cause a problem like that except the electric part of the switch. any other ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

By chance what electical part for the switch did you buy? It most likely is the resistor block. Now where it is I have no idea b/c I haven't looked it up in the manual yet. I'm at work right now but when I get home about 2am I'll look it up and get back to you.
    Last edited by 06grayrex; 02-25-2007 at 11:02 PM.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #666
    Stage 2

I replaced the electrical part of the switch you turn to adjust the fan speed it has a peg sticking out on one side that the plastic dial clips on to. The other end has an electrical plug in. it is just the next part inline after the cosmetic piece of the switch you touch when you adjust the fan speed. And Thanks in advance for looking where that piece is it is much appreciated. I would rather not buy another electrical part I dont need and the dealership will not return.

I Support ClubWRX
    Is it working and on just not blowing? If so...Is your passenger compartment filter plugged?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

it works fine and blows air fine but only on 4 it doesn't even make any noise on the other three settings, no clicking or anything. it is like a 2 mode switch with only OFF or ON. It is just that ON is the 4 setting and OFF is 0, 1, 2, or 3.

Quote Originally Posted by 06grayrex View Post
    By chance what electical part for the switch did you buy? It most likely is the resistor block. Now where it is I have no idea b/c I haven't looked it up in the manual yet. I'm at work right now but when I get home about 2am I'll look it up and get back to you.
    +1 the resistor pack is probably burnt out, thats why high (level 4) works, it doesn't use the resistor pack to slow the motor.

this is from the FSM about how to check and change the resistor pack, just need a DMM
    Last edited by 68sprintb; 02-27-2007 at 01:24 PM.
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

awesome man thanks alot for that picture that should help. That makes perfect sense about slowing the fan speed. I will give it a shot and post back. once again thanks.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I have had problems pulling up this web site.....It's been like this for a week or so....That would be the resistor block that I was talking about.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #666
    Stage 2

No worries I have had trouble logging in. I only get in about every other day. But I got it working, when I pulled the resistor block out there was a burnt part that cut the main wire, I soldered it back together and it works fine. Also you don't need to remove the glove box at all. It sits below the glove box just above the carpet line only had to undo two screws. Mine is and 03 maybe it is different with other models, I would doubt it though. But I really appreciate you guys' help. saved me about fifty bucks. so thanks again
    Last edited by Brandon03wrx; 03-01-2007 at 11:31 AM.

yeah i actually took a look on my 05 and it's just like that, don't need to pull the glove box, go FSM
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox