Check engine light=misfires

This is a discussion on Check engine light=misfires within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So i was driving home today ('03 wrx, 40,000 miles). It was driving perfect and all of a sudden i ...

Check engine light=misfires

So i was driving home today ('03 wrx, 40,000 miles). It was driving perfect and all of a sudden i look and see the check engine light has come on. I took it to my mechanic (very trusting guys) and they said there are misfires on the 3rd and 4th cylinders. They suggest new spark plugs and running this cleaner through the entire system to clean the carbon. Do you guys agree with this diagnosis? Should i get all that done? Thank you guys
    VeeDub --> Subie

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Mods?

What's the CEL code?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Mods?

What's the CEL code?
    No mods, babied it's whole life. No clue what the codes are, but 2 codes thrown...misfires on 3rd and 4th cylinders
    VeeDub --> Subie

i have an 05 and i had a misfire in 3 and 4 right around 43k miles. It was due to bad spark plugs. It's probably time to replace those bad boys! Once i changed mine everything was great.
    Last edited by kiger0183; 02-23-2007 at 04:02 PM.
    Stage II and loving it!

So the thing they want to hook up to it is called "Motorvac." Basically it cleans all the carbon out, cleans the injectors and so on. I looked it up online and Motor Trend tested the motorvac system and it yielded excellent results on all three cars. The SUV ran 0-60 a full second faster after having run Motorvac on it. What do you all think, any experiences with this "Motorvac?"
    VeeDub --> Subie

the "Motorvac" is just a fuel line & injector cleaner, you could probably skip that and just get some off the shelf fuel cleaner. gas these days has lots of fuel cleaner additives already so they're probably suggesting it to make double sure. i've heard that late model Subarus have problems with the coil packs/ignitors, my 05 threw the same P0303 & 304 (misfire 3 & 4) and i had barely 15k, they come back as pending (i have a scanner to check) but so far they stay pending.
    probably wouldn't hurt to just get new coil packs/ignitors, plugs may be just cuz you're already down there.

by the way, when the MIL was on, did you notice the car acting any different or was the MIL just on? it probably just happened once and it's no big deal for now...
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

It was driving just fine when the light came on. I guess my concern is if the Motorvac will cause any damage, as in leaks or anything of that nature?
    VeeDub --> Subie

highly doubt it, search "motorvac" on google and you'll find lots of stories, its just a fuel system cleaner...
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

Yeah, I did the google search a few days ago and found a bunch of positive results. They use a detergant so it's not a harsh chemical and i'm hoping it will be fine. That and spark plugs should keep the check engine light off.
    VeeDub --> Subie

Update

Just wanted to fill you all in on the outcome. They said the spark plugs were really hard to get at and were very worn. They also did the motorvac and the idle seems to be smoother, i have yet to see what the gas mileage is though. Pretty neat stuf
    VeeDub --> Subie