oil change question

This is a discussion on oil change question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, Im new to the forums, and I just did my first oil change on my car. I always do ...

oil change question

Hi, Im new to the forums, and I just did my first oil change on my car. I always do my own oil changes but I noticed that the wrx is a little bit different. I used m1 5w-30 oil with an m1-112 oil filter. my question to everyone is, if you put in too much oil what could happen? I think I used to much oil, but i drained some of it out and it leveled out, but I was driving it one day and checked it again and noticed that it was back to where it was from the beginning, I was told that you were sopposed to wait for the oil to go down, but I checked it the next day before i drove it and noticed it was in the same spot, did I do something wrong?

thanks everyone in advance-

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

if you put much oil u will blow a gasket.... ur suppose to put like 4.5 quarts of oil

how much did u put ?
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

I Support ClubWRX
    Getting the level right is really the only time-consuming part of the process, IMO. I put in 4 quarts quickly, then SLOWLY work up to where it reaches the Full spot on the dipstick.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

with too much oil the crankshaft tries to spin through oil which leads to foaming and eventually air in the oil pump and oil passages. that means no actual oil for the engine! all kinds of bad... i start with 5 qts and fill the filter with fresh oil and install it, then add the 4 other quarts, and finish off by slowly adding the remainder in the first quart that filled the filter. i usually end up having about 1/3 - 1/4 of the quart left.
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox