How to Burp Coolant?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on How to Burp Coolant? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I own a 2006 WRX and I'm taking my turbo out to be ported next weekend and was trying to ...

How to Burp Coolant?

I own a 2006 WRX and I'm taking my turbo out to be ported next weekend and was trying to tie up some loose ends and wanted to know the best way to burp air in the coolant system. I don't doubt some air will get into the system when I have the turbo out for the day and so..

I've read things on the other years that I am to remove the cap on the upper resevoir and let it idle for the air to get out, but I just wanted to know if there was a concrete way to go about doing this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Lookingz for teh factz.

aww man i thought you swallowed some coolant
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

bump

I like this one:

The Owners Manual has all the answers but I will help you. This is the only PROPPER METHOD to add coolant and purge air from the system

AT NO TIME OPEN THE RADIATOR CAP

Use propper 50/50 mix for all coolant resevoirs.

1) Fill the coolant resevoir (plastic bottle) to the fill line (put cap on)
    2) Fill the Turbo Coolant Reevoir (small metal right in front of turbo) (put cap on)
    3) Start car and turn on heater (high)
    4) Hold RPM's at 3000 for 10 minutes ( even if temp = H)
    5) Turn engine off and leave key to ACC (keep heater on)
    6) Let engine cool to "C"
    7) Repeat steps 1-6 until no coolant is required to fill resevoirs

While replacing my turbo took 45 minutes to complete the process.

Like I said above DO NOT open radiator cap at anytime, to do so will negate everything you are trying to do.
    Any other ways mentioned to burp the system on our cars are Shade Tree Mechanics.

Jay-R
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...t=burp+coolant
    02 wagon stock

i used the burp method and it solved the issue but not fully. if i stop or just ride at a very slow speed it stills trys to run slightly hot? ant ideas on why this is? would be much appreciated.

I don't like the idea of revving the engine for that long of a time... revving it for a minute at idle maybe up to 3k rpms...and I definitely don't like the idea of doing it when the car starts overheating regardless of what the owners manual says. I've never heard of it needing to be done this way. But yes you never open the radiator cap. Open the turbo cap and let the car idle refilling the coolant as necessary. It would help to get a coolant funnel also. Cycle the fans on and off every couple minutes on full hot too

pat it on the back
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.