Maintainence Crossroad
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Maintainence Crossroad within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 2002 WRX Wagon - Stock - 76,000 miles. Love story from the first time I came across one. I was ...

Maintainence Crossroad

2002 WRX Wagon - Stock - 76,000 miles.

Love story from the first time I came across one. I was sitting in my Z3 3.0at a stop light when this guy in a black wagon pulls up next to me. I figured I would accelerate at a normal pace until 3,000rpms hit then I would floor it. The guy was across the intersection and making a right turn in front of me before I knew what happened. It was then I realized I had found the ultimate Q-ship. Sold the Z3, put the proceeds towards an engagement ring and found a nice used WRX wagon and have never looked back (except on really sunny days).

SO I have hit a crossroad and I am looking for advice. I am starting to get concerned I may be staring at some large maintainence costs in the next 10k miles and I am deliberating if it may be time to move on. Looking for advice.

1) I have the cold weather gas smell. First time in three years of ownership I have noticed it. I have seen the TSB on the repair but also read that several people skipped the hard fuel line swap. Dealer wanted $367 to do it. I have not seen any posts regarding if just swapping the rubber hoses and clamps cured it.

2) I have noticed over the past 2 months under hard acceleration that I seem to have a slight loss in power between 4300-4700 rpms after which I seem to be full power on to red line. I have no idea where to begin with diagnosing this problem. Thoughts? This is the one I am most concerned about.

3) At 76,000 miles I am starting to get nervous about my timing belt. May be completely unfounded but I am not sure when to be concerned about it. I think I saw that Subaru recommended a change at 105k miles.

4) I bought the car with 36k miles with full intentions of modifying, but the cash has gone instead to raising two kids (as it should, no gripe here) now I find myself back on track but do not know if this is something I should consider doing now that I am higher mileage.

Thanks in advance for everyone's replies, I really love the car but I am not sure if it make sense to dump a couple grand into it at this point.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I bought mine with 76K on it.

I have over 81K on it right now...and I absolutely love it.

I have nothing wrong with it, and I have just started modding it.

I have an 2003 Wagon.

Not sure about the loss in power...mine just keeps making more and more.

The timing belt needs changed at 105K. Why worry about it now? Subaru engineers must have designed it to last longer than 105...or else it would need changed sooner.

Later,
    Patrick
    RSX-S
    Sold: '03 WRX Wagon (bugeyes rock!)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.