Oil change delusions!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Oil change delusions! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I bought a 2002 WRX. I have no idea when the last time the oil was changed and I ...

Oil change delusions!

So I bought a 2002 WRX. I have no idea when the last time the oil was changed and I had driven the car for a week. Car seems fine, I checked the level and it was perfect and also happened to be a middle dark color.

Well anyhow, I changed the oil today to Mobil 1 0W40.

First off, changing the oil on these cars has to be the EASIEST I have ever seen. Everything is right in front of you, no need to reach for anything but let's get past this.

I began to notice that before I changed the oil that the car had a slightly loping idle. I know the car is stock and no one messed with the cam so the loping disturbed me. Figured maybe the timing was off.

Anyhow, I changed the oil and now the car seems to run smoother, the engine seems quieter and the odd lope seems gone.

Are these cars really that sensitive to oil or am I entirely delusional?

I've ordered a drop in K&N filter, PIAA bulbs, accessory belts (just to have new ones), a fuel filter and NGK Iridium plugs. I wonder if the car will react so nicely to these general items =)

Anyhow, anyone notice such a drastic change from a simple oil change?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

if it had cheap old oil before, running something better would deffinetly make an improvement. i run royal purple, because its proven to improve gas mileage and hp, not sure about hp but gas mileage and motor noise is a lot quieter.
    07 white STi in CT

Add a Fumoto valve and you can change the oil faster than a NASCAR pit crew can change a tire!

I Support ClubWRX
    Probably delusional, but I swore I could feel/hear the difference after an oil change in my old Integra. However, I don't claim to be able to detect the difference with my WRX.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by ryanwrxduksa View Post
    if it had cheap old oil before, running something better would deffinetly make an improvement. i run royal purple, because its proven to improve gas mileage and hp, not sure about hp but gas mileage and motor noise is a lot quieter.
    +1 for RP
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

my car has a similar lope to it occasionally. I'm using redline syth right now. wonder if its the oil
    282 AWHP...267 lb-ft torque.
    2005 WRB WRX Sedan

"he's a domestic fan with a hunger for rice"

I Support ClubWRX
    The lope, wiggle, shake, or whatever you want to call it is completely normal for Subies and changing oil will not get rid of it.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

by lope, what is meant? When i start my car after it's warm it bogs to about 400 rpms or so then goes up to idle. That what you're talkin bout?
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

mines not that bad. It just wavers a lil and vac goes up and down 2 psi or so. If i didnt have an exhaust it probably wouldnt even be noticeable
    282 AWHP...267 lb-ft torque.
    2005 WRB WRX Sedan

"he's a domestic fan with a hunger for rice"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.