just a tad paranoid...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on just a tad paranoid... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, i have had the wrx for like 5 days now (at about 240 miles) and I have been sticking ...

just a tad paranoid...

So, i have had the wrx for like 5 days now (at about 240 miles) and I have been sticking to the break in period rules pretty well. However today as I was driving i let it rev up to 4 and when i shifted gears the rpms jumped to 5,000 before going to the next gear. It happened twice. i think my foot was still a little on the gas as i was shifting (still somewhat new to stick) .Think any this did any harm?
    thanks guys, im a noob i know
    2007 VF'39ed WRX in OBP...
    VF39/supporting mods
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #61

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It'll be fine..There are some people that will even say opening up a new motor is the best way to break it in.
    VeeDub --> Subie

really? wow lol i just figured i wuld follow the manual since the ecu is probably recording everything i do anywayz might as well not void my warranty lol.
    Also what does it mean when im slipping the clutch? cause I was driving yesterday with my friend And i shifted and then when we came to a stop we smelled a little something which he then identified as clutch. He said i was slipping hte clutch. But now that i think bout it im not sure what that means lol. any help would be great.!
    VF39/supporting mods
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #61

break in is for cars made in like the 1950's
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Hey, dont worry about going over 4K a few times. That is fine. It wont do any harm to the car.

Just so you know your car will stink for the first few thousand miles:

1. New tires being worn
    2. New clutch being used
    3. Subaru sprays the engine w/ polyurathane (sp?) or whatever for transportation and when you break-in the car it burns off

be sure to get an oil change at 1,000mi in order to flush out any metal shavings that might be in the oil as you break-in the car.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT View Post
    Hey, dont worry about going over 4K a few times. That is fine. It wont do any harm to the car.

1. New tires being worn
    2. New clutch being used
    3. Subaru sprays the engine w/ polyurathane (sp?) or whatever for transportation and when you break-in the car it burns off

be sure to get an oil change at 1,000mi in order to flush out any metal shavings that might be in the oil as you break-in the car.
    i would listen to him he's pretty smart and answers alot of my questions
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT View Post

1. New tires being worn
    2. New clutch being used

+1 to the early oil change

I did my Z at 1500, then 3000, then every 3k after

Slipping the clutch is exactly what it sounds like - basically staying in the clutch longer to perform a long slow transition, however, this typically accellerates wear on the clutch. When people first learn to drive stick, they do this alot - what they need to learn is to let off the gas or ease off a bit on the gas.

Oh, and you'll notice the rev's go up if you are driving and just push the clutch in, if you want to eliminate this, then take your foot off the gas just before you push the clutch in - this will also help you shift better as you want the rev's to drop a bit for the next gear. If you want to know how much they should drop between gears, it's not any set amount, though you can figure it's roughly 900 rpm or so depending on where you are on the tach. Try to listen to the engine and be conscious of your throttle input - mind the tach, but don't stare at it - just focus on driving.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

While it's good to be careful and not beat the car up, you really have nothing to worry about. Everyone has already said what needs to be said, just make sure to check your fluid levels, air in the tires, and give the car a visual once over all on regular basis. Maintain it well, and you should not have any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    +1 to the early oil change

I did my Z at 1500, then 3000, then every 3k after

Slipping the clutch is exactly what it sounds like - basically staying in the clutch longer to perform a long slow transition, however, this typically accellerates wear on the clutch. When people first learn to drive stick, they do this alot - what they need to learn is to let off the gas or ease off a bit on the gas.

Oh, and you'll notice the rev's go up if you are driving and just push the clutch in, if you want to eliminate this, then take your foot off the gas just before you push the clutch in - this will also help you shift better as you want the rev's to drop a bit for the next gear. If you want to know how much they should drop between gears, it's not any set amount, though you can figure it's roughly 900 rpm or so depending on where you are on the tach. Try to listen to the engine and be conscious of your throttle input - mind the tach, but don't stare at it - just focus on driving.
    wow perfect thanks. Now i understand and i see how i am slipping it cause i sometimes try to shift slower lol. Thanks.
    And thanks everyone for the break in info!
    VF39/supporting mods
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #61

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.