CEL is on and "Cruise" is flashing.. WTF!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on CEL is on and "Cruise" is flashing.. WTF! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was driving back to work tonight after getting some food, and I was on the freeway as usual. I ...

CEL is on and "Cruise" is flashing.. WTF!

I was driving back to work tonight after getting some food, and I was on the freeway as usual. I did what I ALWAYS do, which is punch it on the on-ramp and then taper off to about 70MPH. I gave the car some gas to pass a car, hit about 80MPH and my CEL came on, and the cruise control light started to flash. I noticed I was losing power, I downshifted to 4, then 3, to no avail. I pulled over and the idle was fluctuating between ~800 and ~1,500RPM. I turned the car off, then back on and it still fluctuated. Turned it off again, tried to turn it on, it wouldn't. Then I let it sit for a few seconds, turned it on and the idle was fine, it moved when I put it in gear. The CEL and cruise lights were still on. I carefully drove it to my work, opened the hood (which was a futile move) and didn't see anything.

My car is an '06 WRX with NO mods, bone stock. I drive it hard, but do not abuse it - no launching, no racing, no hard shifts, etc. When this happened, I wasn't doing anything I don't normally do. I have had the car for exactly 11 months, and it has right about 6,050 miles on it (I live close to work and avoid unnecessary driving).

Does anyone have any clue WTF this is, or why it happened? It "seems" to drive fine, but the cruise control doesn't work and those lights are on. Please give me some input. So much for reliable, worry free Japanese cars!

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

take it back to the dealership
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

I Support ClubWRX
    got a boost gauge? My vacuum line fell off the manifold on my 06. Did the same thing
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    got a boost gauge? My vacuum line fell off the manifold on my 06. Did the same thing
    orly... thats good to know... i didnt know the line falling off would do that but thanks for the info
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    POST WH0RE KING

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    I do not have a boost gauge, but I will check for any loose lines in the morning. To be honest my first thought was a vacuum line, then I thought maybe a wire got loose. While I did look under the hood it was pretty dark and hard to see anything. Where on the maifold was the vacuum line that fell off on your car?

Yeah, taking it to the dealer is obviously a given, but I was hoping I could get an idea of what it might be first.

I Support ClubWRX
    This little sucker. It doesnt have any barbs on it and is smooth glossy plastic. Fell off right there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1050448.jpg  
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Thank you for the photo!!

Did you still take it to the dealer after you figured out the problem? Did the lights turn off and everyting work normally?

Sorry to drag it out, but I'm tempted to run out and look for this SOB right now!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFNG View Post
    Thank you for the photo!!

Did you still take it to the dealer after you figured out the problem? Did the lights turn off and everyting work normally?

Sorry to drag it out, but I'm tempted to run out and look for this SOB right now!
    I called the dealer and they said if it was something I did they were gonna charge me a minimum $100 diagnostic fee plus parts. The service guy said its most likely vaccuum line or evap. So I said well lemme check. Couldn't see that little booger at first so I took it to my unlces shop who had a smoke machine, and that didn't yield any results, so finally I just started tracing vaccuum lines and was like hey there it is.

Hooked it back up, used zip ties around the hose to keep it from falling off.
    Then did a hard ecu reset (disconneect negative battery cable)
    and its been fine ever since (about 10k miles)
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Well, I couldn't just sit here so I ran out to check it out. The lines all seem to be in their place, including the one in your photo. I will take another look in the morning, but I guess this is a bigger problem.

If they so much as try to imply there will be a fee I'll be more than happy to rape them a new one.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well, I couldn't just sit here so I ran out to check it out. The lines all seem to be in their place, including the one in your photo. I will take another look in the morning, but I guess this is a bigger problem.

If they so much as try to imply there will be a fee I'll be more than happy to rape them a new one.

Last time you filled your tank with gas did you turn the gas cap until it clicked?

If you didn't, your car will run fine until about 1/2 a tank and then throw a code.

If that was the problem I would recommend turning the cap till it clicks a few times then reset the ecu.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I always make sure to close the gas cap to at least one click, knowing it will cause the CEL to come one otherwise. I even tightened it when I got to work tonight.

I will try to look under the car to see if I can spot any loose lines. I am thinking this has to be the cause since it happened while I was driving, and I was losing power but the engine was still running.

If I reset the ECU will the clowns at the dealership know I did it, and try to BS me and say I caused it or made it worse?

Thanks again for all the help.

I Support ClubWRX
    I always make sure to close the gas cap to at least one click, knowing it will cause the CEL to come one otherwise. I even tightened it when I got to work tonight.

I will try to look under the car to see if I can spot any loose lines. I am thinking this has to be the cause since it happened while I was driving, and I was losing power but the engine was still running.

If I reset the ECU will the clowns at the dealership know I did it, and try to BS me and say I caused it or made it worse?

Thanks again for all the help.
    We'll if you reset and the problem is still there then the CEL would go off again. But if it is fixed or you fix it then it'll stay off.

Also the CEL takes 3 FULL driving cycles to reset itself. So it might not reset for a week if it was the gas cap and you tightened it.

If theCEL comes back on, they wont be able to tell if you reset it or not. The dealership actually told me to do it. But at the same time, don't expect to get it fixed if you reset, and the cel doesnt come back on. They have nothing to scan to help diagnose this way. But as to voiding warranty the answer is no it wont.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I was concerned that resetting the ECU would in fact make it difficult for them to diagnose the problem, so I guess I won't do it.

Ugh, I guess off to the dealer I am first thing in the morning. Have I mentioned how much contempt I have for dealerships and their "techs" when it comes to fixing cars? Frankly this was the only thing I didn't/don't like about buying a new car.

Thanks again, I'll report back.

Edited to add:
    I doubt that the gas cap is the problem as I said I always tighten it to one click or more. Also, I doubt the cruise light would be flashing and I'd lose power. In any case, I'm thinking it is something bigger since I was able to pull hard while in 2 and 3 gear, and I'm pretty sure I heard the turbo spool up (though I am not 100% on this). If a vacuum line was loose, would the turbo spool or the car have normal feeling power? For all I know it could be something related to the cruise control system itself. Does this use vacuum lines or is it all electronic (the '06 is "drive by wire")?
    Last edited by TheFNG; 02-17-2007 at 01:53 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    No the cruise light flashes when the cel goes off on the 06's its gay. It just depend which vaccuum line was off as to how bad it would effect performance. If one of the lines around thw WG actuator came undone you could have serious issues with drivability.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

could be a o2 sensor too btw
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    POST WH0RE KING

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast