Mystery engine noise
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Mystery engine noise within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have wrx that I just bought new and is stock. Some kinda noise is coming from the engine. It ...

Mystery engine noise

I have wrx that I just bought new and is stock. Some kinda noise is coming from the engine. It sounds like a valve train knock or an exhaust leak, who knows, that occurs at low rpms but goes away as they climb past I think 2800-3000 rpms. What could it be? Are exhaust leaks common with the boxer engine?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeythejew View Post
    I have wrx that I just bought new and is stock. Some kinda noise is coming from the engine. It sounds like a valve train knock or an exhaust leak, who knows, that occurs at low rpms but goes away as they climb past I think 2800-3000 rpms. What could it be? Are exhaust leaks common with the boxer engine?
    Coming from the Pass side foot well? That would be your WG or waste gate in your turbo working. It is commonly referred here to as Wastegate flutter. Is your car an 06? I have noticed in the newer model years it seems to be more noticable stock. Anyways WG flutter is normal and not a problem. If you buy an exhaust it tends to drowned it out.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Thanks for the answer. Never heard of WG flutter until now and just did a little research on it. My car is an 07'.

So I have an 07 that started making this flutter sound. It has been quite for 4800 miles and I took it for a nice hard drive for 5 miles. Now it makes a lot of noise. It starts under load at 2000 rpm and stops around 3000 rpm. Seems to be getting loader. What could this be?

It might be becasuse you are just listening for it now, so it seems that its getting louder. Also on my 02, depending on the weather (temp,humidity, etc) I'll hear the trubo more or less. For the most part I don't really notice the turbo spooling but many times I heard it. Also only know I realized that the high pitched noise inside the cabin under hard acceleration means that the turbo is spooling up. I love these sounds
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.