2002 WRX ... coolant smell underhood sometimes ... can't find leak ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 2002 WRX ... coolant smell underhood sometimes ... can't find leak ? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by jonno Can you elaborate as to how you sealed the crack? Also after sealing the crack, is ...

Quote Originally Posted by jonno View Post

Can you elaborate as to how you sealed the crack? Also after sealing the crack, is it enough to just refill the white plastic tank to full, or should I do a full coolant replacement (it's not technically due for one at the moment, and there is some coolant still in the tank, but below the "low" line).
    filled the crack with a tank sealer, and then coated it with silicon. However, like I said at the end of the post "problem solved (for now)". It still leaks, just not as much, and I'm not over heating, but it won't last, and I'm getting a new rad.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanks. I was also just looking for a temporary solution while I buy a replacement. What do you plan on buying? Without funds for an all aluminum, I was looking at the Koyo OEM (alum+plastic, A2407 for the 02-07 MY), or a used one from a newer WRX.

Thanks. I was also just looking for a temporary solution while I buy a replacement. What do you plan on buying? Without funds for an all aluminum, I was looking at the Koyo OEM (alum+plastic, A2407 for the 02-07 MY), or a used one from a newer WRX.
    well I had an OEM rad shipped to me that someone swapped out arrive the other day, but it got damaged in shipping (the plastic again... surprise surprise, makes me not want to have anything to do with rads that have plastic on them!)... so looking again hopefully for a used OEM rad pulled from the same car as I have.
    I don't have funds for all alum. either. =( .... although I might just see if I pull it to spring for one, since plastic just ... sucks.

****, that sucks...I was kind of wondering about that, but figured if it was brand new it'd be packaged to account for that hopefully. I just ordered the OEM Koyo for 175 from rallysportdirect.com if you're interested, that was the cheapest I could find, and Koyo seems to have a good rep.

I Support ClubWRX
    I have been using the OEM Koyo without problems.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yeah, one of the threads you were commenting in was one of the more prominent in my mind when I said "seems to have a good rep." I should get it within the week, and will be doing the install myself...any problems I should be forewarned about? Mine is an 02, so I'm still needing to figure out the T line fix with the second oil cap.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, one of the threads you were commenting in was one of the more prominent in my mind when I said "seems to have a good rep." I should get it within the week, and will be doing the install myself...any problems I should be forewarned about? Mine is an 02, so I'm still needing to figure out the T line fix with the second oil cap.
    Second rad cap.

Mine did not have a rad cap so I kept my original configuration. If yours has a rad cap, just get yourself some heater hose of the correct internal Φ and a T fitting, and plumb both the old and the new rad caps into the same overflow container via the same line after the T. This is easier to see with the rad in front of you, much more difficult to explain. It's not difficult.

The rad will likely have a lower cooler chamber with fittings, intended for automatic transmission fluid. If you have a 5spd, ignore it.

The fan bolts may be slightly different, it depends on the rad model and car. Not a huge issue and mine were OK I think. I reused my old ones.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Ha, yes...inebriated post-bbq posting. Thanks for the tip, I think I understand that based on the pictures I've found so far. I'll report back if I encounter any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Second rad cap.
    that's what's been stopping me from getting the Koyo or something all alum. How does that jerry-rigging of the 2nd rad cap work for you?

I've heard a lot of folks do it, but haven't read of the outcome.

Are there any problems that stem from having the 2nd cap go into the overflow tank?

Ha, yes...inebriated post-bbq posting. Thanks for the tip, I think I understand that based on the pictures I've found so far. I'll report back if I encounter any problems.
    looking forward to your reports

Sorry for the delay in reporting, my install was delayed and then I kind of forgot about it.

In all, the install was very straightforward. I did it without having to lift the car up, so that was a plus. I had the no-cap stock rad, and replaced with the Koyo OEM w/ cap (they included a third party cap at 1.1bar, but I believe the stock capped rads have a 1.3 bar cap there and 1.1 on the fill tank. I may replace with a subaru 1.3bar cap.) Because of the new cap, I also went to the dealer and bought the two hoses and one metal pipe that are needed to T the overflow line from the new cap neck to the overflow tank. There's not much to explain beyond that, it's pretty self explanatory once you actually get in there and move around. Taking the overflow tank (white one) off right away help with access and visibility.

After install, filling with coolant went well, albeit very slowly. I filled from the fill tank (by the turbo) with the new top cap on the rad itself removed. I poured very slowly into the fill tank until coolant got up to the cap neck on the rad itself. I capped that, and continued to pour until it the level stopped falling after pouring more in. Then did burping cycles to get the air out.

Removal/install took about two hours, while refilling initially took what seemed about another hour. Burping took something like 5-7 cycles of driving and cooling over a couple days before it finally stopped dropping level at the fill tank.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12