Mystery Leak

This is a discussion on Mystery Leak within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, I've been smelling burning oil and have noticed a drips on the garage floor...not enough to cause alarm and ...

Mystery Leak

Ok, I've been smelling burning oil and have noticed a drips on the garage floor...not enough to cause alarm and there's no visible smoke when driving. Here is a pic of something odd I noticed that would explain the lack of smoke from the tailpipe, but the noticable smell in the cabin, only problem is I have no idea what the part is (that is labeled OIL LEAK? in the picture). There is oil visible on what I can only assume is the head. *I haven't done any in depth work on flat fours, but have had numerous turbo cars. I guess I'm hoping some one can identify the part in question or can share a fix if they've had similar problems. I have had no performance loss and no noticable drop in oil level. My guess is it's a sending unit but it's a very odd location for one. The picture is between the intake manifold and the IC. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0394.JPG  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That is an aftermarket oil pressure (possibly oil temp) sensor.

You will need to remove the IC and tighten it. DON'T pull it out and put teflon tape on it. Unless it has a separate wire going down to the engine block, it grounds through the threads. The teflon tape would throw off your reading.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Thank you much. Exactly what I was hoping for. I'll tighten it up on my lunch break and hopefully that will solve my oil leak woes.

No dice. The unit was leaking where the top and bottom portions are pressed together, I pulled it out and plugged it till my new sending unit comes in. However, I started getting actual visable smoke the day before I plugged it. Thinking that it was going to just come apart I pulled it out and plugged it. Well I take it out for a run afterwards and I still get smoke. The weird part is that it's intermittent, coming from the passenger side of the engine (very ominous being that the turbo is there). I get more than a few drops of oil on the ground and I can't locate a source of the leak. If anyone can help me out with what appears to be a oil leak causing intermittent underhood smoke on the passenger side...I'm all ears. Thanks in advance.

**BTW, car is just hitting 40k miles, it's an 02.

When my sender was leaking right after I put it in, I was getting a strong smell of burning oil. There are a lot of hot parts below where this oil would leak.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

It's not leaking anymore though, I have it plugged till my new sender comes in. So that leads me to believe there is oil leaking else where...I'll have to wait till tuesday before I can get underneath to find out.