90k maintinance service - fluids?

This is a discussion on 90k maintinance service - fluids? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone, I plan on getting the 90k service soon. The air filter, spark plugs, and battery have been recently ...

90k maintinance service - fluids?

Hey everyone,

I plan on getting the 90k service soon. The air filter, spark plugs, and battery have been recently replaced so count those out. In this service are fluids drained and replaced ie tranmission fluid, break fluid, etc. When dealing with the fluids is it mandatory to use OEM or is a different brand of the same grade fluid able to be used? Thanks everyone,

Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by d40winker View Post
    Hey everyone,

I plan on getting the 90K service soon. The air filter, spark plugs, and battery have been recently replaced so count those out. In this service are fluids drained and replaced ie tranmission fluid, break fluid, etc. When dealing with the fluids is it mandatory to use OEM or is a different brand of the same grade fluid able to be used? Thanks everyone,

Dave
    http://www.subaru.com/owners/schedul...=SCHEDULE_2002

They call for inspection on the trans fluid and replace most others - brake fluid, coolant, oil. Be careful about what coolant you use, there have been some problems. I don't know anything about the automatics, but expect that the right DOT etc. should be fine. You can consider a better performing brake fluid, but it will probably have to be replaced more often. The rear differential isn't too finicky, just get the right grade and decide if you want synth or not. This is an automatic right?

Check out the maintenance sticky for the instructions if you want to DIY