Should I buy an extended warranty?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Should I buy an extended warranty? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just bought a 2004 WRX with 30k miles on it. The basic warranty had already expired when I bought ...

Should I buy an extended warranty?

I just bought a 2004 WRX with 30k miles on it. The basic warranty had already expired when I bought it and I'm thinking about buying an extended warranty for it. It's gonna cost around $1500 for 5 more years and 100k more miles, but I'm wondering if it's worth it? Do WRX's have a history of needing major repairs in the first 100k miles (or 8-ish years)???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    First post? Greetings welcome to the club!

WRXs are pretty reliable even past the 100k mark. I would read the terms of the contract well and be sure you know what coverage you will be getting. $1500 is not chump change.

The only potentially costly issue is the manual transmission. It does not take abuse well if hammered on a lot.

Be sure to go here and formally introduce yourself: New Member Hangout
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Welcome!

Couple of things to consider. You bought the car used so you don't know how well the previous owner treated it. And like said above, its the tranny that would most likely go before anything else.

That being said if you think the car was treated well and you don't beat on it either then maybe the $1500 could be spent elsewhere. Also, if you're going to mod it, the extended warranty most likely will not be honoured should you need to use it.

Extended warranties, IMO aren't usually worth its cost. I know there are cases where it has saved people in the past, but the majority never need to use it.
    2006 WRX - World Rally Blue

Yea i bought the extended power-train warrantee and when i got my wrx 6 months ago and i went stage 2 and because of that it is void now. There is really no point.

I Support ClubWRX
    Mods do not automatically void warranties. The dealer has to be able to attribute a given failure to a mod. It is at their discretion and have been known to be willing to work with a customer.

Be nice to your WRX, it will likely be nice to you.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

^ Yes, its true they have to attribute the failure to your mod, but who loses out more in the end if they void it and you constest it? They're usually the ones holding all the cards since it is based on their discretion. The time, effort, and frustration to prove you're right is a long and tiresome road that is more costly to you than Subaru.

But yes, 04.SPT.WRX is right, be nice to the WRX and you shall have no problems
    Last edited by drummerboy; 02-07-2007 at 05:37 PM.
    2006 WRX - World Rally Blue

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.