No low fuel light...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on No low fuel light... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My new wagon (04) has no low fuel light that I have seen no matter how low it has become ...

No low fuel light...

My new wagon (04) has no low fuel light that I have seen no matter how low it has become - is it supposed to?? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i've never seen a low fuel light..................
    PSM Bugeye..Cobb Stage 2

at what point does it engage, or rather what point does it disengage? somewhere inside the 1/4 tank bar is normal I think. I think its suppose to tell you that you have around 50 miles left before you run into trouble.
    Subaru 06 WRX in WRB.

I've run mine down below the E-line and no warning at all. Strange...

yeah something isn't right. Could be simple stupid like the light source is broken or something bigger, if you have warranty left might as take it in. Mine usually lights up at about 1/8~1/16 tank range.
    Subaru 06 WRX in WRB.

does the fuel light come on for a moment when cranking the car? Mine does.
    2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L Belize Blue Pearl

2000 Yamaha R6
    10.123 At 131.9mph (Dyno Drags)
    111.1hp@wheel

2002 Aspen White 5MT WRX - Sold

I've had my '03 below the "E line" and no light either. Wonder how far down I have to go

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Its not the best idea to find out. As noted in the manual, fill 'er up at 1/4 tank to prevent your injectors from getting gunked up.

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone else had their low fuel light come on when the car starts, mine doesn't. I had my fuel at the E line this morning and filled it all the way up til the pump kicks off, it only put 12.9 gals in the car. Don't our cars have a 15.9 gal tank?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Its not the best idea to find out. As noted in the manual, fill 'er up at 1/4 tank to prevent your injectors from getting gunked up.
    I'm actually going to reply to an old post. Where do you think the fuel pump sock picks up the fuel up from?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    I'm actually going to reply to an old post. Where do you think the fuel pump sock picks up the fuel up from?
    TR is exactly right..
    The "theory" of filling up before it's too low is for this reason:

Over time, sediment, condensation (water), rust, etc., collect in the tank.
    The fuel pump's sock filter resides just off the bottom of the tank.

When it is very low on fuel, and you fill it up, the rush of fuel entering the tank, hits the bottom, and stirs up all this crap, and gets it suspended in the fuel. It takes awhile for this stuff to settle back to the bottom. In the meantime, the sock filter is now in the midst of all this crap, so it sucks it right in, rather than being 'above' it..

Next thing you know, you get this chain reaction: sock collects debris, chokes fuel flow down, pump works harder to overcome, gets hot, burns out, stops fuel flow, leans out motor, possible POP..

so yeah, don't test it, unless you are way out in the boonies, and find yourself uber low on fuel..
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    TR is exactly right..
    The "theory" of filling up before it's too low is for this reason:

Over time, sediment, condensation (water), rust, etc., collect in the tank.
    The fuel pump's sock filter resides just off the bottom of the tank.

When it is very low on fuel, and you fill it up, the rush of fuel entering the tank, hits the bottom, and stirs up all this crap, and gets it suspended in the fuel. It takes awhile for this stuff to settle back to the bottom. In the meantime, the sock filter is now in the midst of all this crap, so it sucks it right in, rather than being 'above' it..

Next thing you know, you get this chain reaction: sock collects debris, chokes fuel flow down, pump works harder to overcome, gets hot, burns out, stops fuel flow, leans out motor, possible POP..

so yeah, don't test it, unless you are way out in the boonies, and find yourself uber low on fuel..
    Actually, you misunderstood my post. That theory is bunk. It's an old wives tale. The sock is always picking up the crap from the bottom of the tank. Filling up an empty tank doesn't even come close to the sloshing and shaking that happens while driving. If you want to see a great demonstration, take a half full fish bowl for a ride around the block in your passenger seat. You'll be shocked at how much the fluid is moved around. Any sediment that is in your tank is always being sloshed around and mixed up with the good fuel.

Run it empty whenever you feel like it, it won't make a damn bit of difference.

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^ that's exactly why I quit drinking and driving. I got tired of the dixie cup emptying itself..

seriously, i dont drink/drive. i dont even drink.
    Rogan o_0

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    ^^ that's exactly why I quit drinking and driving. I got tired of the dixie cup emptying itself..

seriously, i dont drink/drive. i dont even drink.
    I made a quick visual aid. The fuel pump/sock is always dredging the sediment from the bottom.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fueltank.JPG  

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    I made a quick visual aid. The fuel pump/sock is always dredging the sediment from the bottom.
    NICE LOL

I'd venture to say, if you put something in that half-empty fish bowl, that would sediment to the bottom, say some dirt/sand or water, and drive around, it'd stay mostly on the bottom.

Then, if you were to take most of the water out, then pour a cup of water back in, it'd suspend throughout the entire water content
    Rogan o_0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast