Changing Oil without Filter change

This is a discussion on Changing Oil without Filter change within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Changed my oil around 2500 miles with Mobil 5w-30 along with a OEM Filter. Did a second oil change around ...

Changing Oil without Filter change

Changed my oil around 2500 miles with Mobil 5w-30 along with a OEM Filter.
    Did a second oil change around 5500 miles but could not remove the oil filter due to lack of daytime light and could not get a good grip on the filter.
    So i decided to leave the filter on and simply refil the oil as needed.

I do understand that both dirty and clean oil will mix and that the oil filter is still dirty and has less capability to filter contaminents from the oil

What I am worried about is if I created any pressure differences or pockets of air or anything harmful from this situation.

Can somebody confirm that this is nothing harmful or if it is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    As long as insolubles stay within reasonable levels there is no problem leaving a filter in. Some car companies do not require a filter change with every oil change.

The only problem you've created is with your warranty documentation, since Subaru does require a filter change with the oil change.

Since your motor is new I"d just buy a filter and put it on during daylight. Keep all your receipts for your records for warranty purposes.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.