Dealer said dont waste money on synthetic oil
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Dealer said dont waste money on synthetic oil within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just bought a new wrx tr. I met the service manager after the buy and after I told him ...

Dealer said dont waste money on synthetic oil

I just bought a new wrx tr. I met the service manager after the buy and after I told him I would do all my own oil changes, he told me to keep oil and oil filter receipts and not to waste money on a full synthetic oil. He said the 5w30 you should use year round is part synthetic to meet the SM rating anways. He also went to explain that except for kendall, the oil companies dont want people to know this. He also said not to use mobil1 gear lube in the tranny because they once offered it and got a few shifting complaints with it. So am I being cheap if I would use castrol 5w30 and a purolater oil filter every 3750 miles?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

on my 02. i just used regular castrol 5w30 oil and oem oil filters. now i have a new shortblock with forged pistons so i run full synth and change the oil every 3-4k miles. i still use oem oil filters though.
    to sum it up. use regular dyno oil or a mixed blend on the stock block
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

I Support ClubWRX

Smile

My two cents is that opinions vary on this subject and it has previously been discussed at great length. I don't "know" that most people, with a properly maintained vehicle, will see an appreciable difference between Synthetic/Regular oil... However, personally I have for years only used Mobil 1 in all my cars.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Use OEM subaru filters. Go to the service deparment and buy 10-12 at a time. Also get new drain plugs and crush washers to go with those. Keep ALL documents pertaining to the oil change (part # of filter used, amount of oil put in, receipt of oil you put it, receipt of filter, date and time of oil change)

All of the above will help you greatly if you have to ever have warranty work done on your car. Keeping receipts/records is the easiest way to beat them at their own game. SOA will want documents of all oil changes done up to (if) you break your motor in some way.

As for oil this has been covered 100 times or more. It is really up to you as to what oil you use. Every oil that i've found recently (including kendall) is a Syn. Blend. Every major oil brand should be fine in your car as long as you do proper oil changes. I do not plan on having my car for 100k miles + (I wont have it long enough to see 20k at this point) so I have kept Dino oil in it. It is widely accepted not to switch to full syn. (if that's your plan) till after 10k miles. From my research, if I planned on owning the car well into full body rust then I would switch to syn. at 12k miles and change it every 3,500 with new OEM filter.

I'm sure atleast ten people will chime in stating how they went to full syn at 3k miles and nothing has happened. There are plenty of cases like this that is why it's really a preference thing.

Gear oil is also subjective. Some people like Shockproof and others hate it. Once again since my car doesnt see a ton of miles or abuse I'd probaly just toss Subaru gear lube in it.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Parts dept will have everything you need. I also say save every receipt. Also date it and put the mileage on it when you change the oil. If my customer are the DIY, I tell them save every receipt and put that info on it.
    http://svt4u2try.com | Myspace | Photos
    97 Cobra, 98 Z/28 hardtop

the OEM filter is actually made by purolator. I use the purolator pure one filters which are supposedely a little better than the regulars. As for the oil, I use mobile 1. Too many mixed opinions on the synthetic oil issue so I decided for myself to go with the synthetic. As for the tranny oil, I have also heard that mobile synthetic causes shifting problems. At 14,000 miles I switched out my tranny oil to redline lightweight shockproof. It was the best thing I have done yet for that car. I am now at 24,000 miles and have not one problem and the car still shifts just as good as it did when I first put that oil in.
    06-wrx: stage 2 and loving every minute of it!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.