Very strang smell.

This is a discussion on Very strang smell. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well after i got my fuel problem fixed i started to notice a smell coming through my air vents when ...

Very strang smell.

Well after i got my fuel problem fixed i started to notice a smell coming through my air vents when i tell it to take the air from outside. It a very strange smell and i can't really describe it but i does smell like a chemical and if i leave the air like that to long i get a headache and get dizy. I'll do my best to describe the smell but it doesn't smell like anything i have smelled before. So its not burning coolant, oil or fuel and its only a faint smell. I kinda smells like a mix between all three of them but at very low levels then there is the sent of when you turn the ac on that you haven't turned on in a while and the most annoying smell of new car you can think of. Keep in mind that this is barely noticeable, i have to put my nose in the air stream to smell it but i can tell its there by the fact that i get a headache from it.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i love it when people are jackasses around here and instead of taking the thread seriously they make fart jokes.
    Last edited by Knome; 02-03-2007 at 03:07 PM.

Mildew?

don't think so.

i'm fighting the same thing right now, the dealer did the fuel rail for free, and now there's a smell (like exhaust fumes) coming into the cabin. I knew I should have fixed it myself, but i did not want to pull the intake....(i did try not to pull it and fix it like some other have done on here, but it sucked !!BAD!!!) and I figured if I could get it done for free..what the hell. Anyway I looked under the hood and found the PCV hose that attaches to the intake, under throttle body was off. One of the plastic nipples was broken off the intake tube (I broke the other one), and there is another line off on the drivers side (looks like a purge valve line or something). So hopefully that helps, I hope it fixes my problem,(and yours) I'm in the process of finding where the line goes to the solenoid.
    -mike

Been a while but don't subarus have in cabin air filters, maybe that got something in it?