Radiators Difference???

This is a discussion on Radiators Difference??? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I need to replace my radiator in my 03. The top seal is leaking. My 03 was build in november ...

Radiators Difference???

I need to replace my radiator in my 03. The top seal is leaking. My 03 was build in november of 02. Is there a difference in the radiators of an 02 and an 03? I searched "radiator" and looked through most of those articles but didn't see what I am looking for. The reason is I have a chance to buy an aluminum radiator but it sys its only for and 02 and the seller is not sure if it will fit an 03.
    Last edited by Rappy04; 01-31-2007 at 09:13 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Can't anyone help me? I need to know before I order this radiator.

DrD
    Only change which happened sometime around the 02/03 model year changeover was the addition of a second radiator cap on the radiator itself - other than that, they are the same. (this is for the WRX)

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes newer wrxs have second radiator cap. Id recommend it.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Thanks guys. My radiator has a cap on it so I must have the update. Too bad its faulty. I ordered the one that said it was for an 02 but it has rad. cap on so I just went ahead a got it. Couldn't pass it up for under 200 bucks.

Is it a big deal that I don't have the second radiator cap on the rad. itself? The radiator looks great but it does not have the secod cap

I Support ClubWRX
    No big deal. 02s came with no rad cap on the rad.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Someone above said that it would be a good idea to get the one with the second cap. I was just wondering if without it would it cause any problems

I Support ClubWRX
    The cap is good for filling and generating leaks only. You can fill the system from the turbo reservoir anyway so I don't see an advantage.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks for the quick reply's

How would I go about hooking this up since I have an 03 with the second cap? I would guess that I need to block off the second overflow tube somehow. Any ideas?

I Support ClubWRX
    On single-cap systems overflow is routed from the cap on the turbo reservoir to the white plastic overflow bottle near the battery.