Hood keeps popping up while driving
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Hood keeps popping up while driving within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; First off I wanna thank the man that thought about putting the second safety latch on the hood....but my real ...

Exclamation Hood keeps popping up while driving

First off I wanna thank the man that thought about putting the second safety latch on the hood....but my real problem is that ill close my hood from checking the oil and at any random time after closing it the primary latch will give way and the secondary safety one will catch it.....now this happening once wouldnt scare me but it's happened like 5 times in the last 2 months....have the imprezza's been known to have this problem and are there any fixes aside from replacing the latch assembly???

like always I really appreciate any help this forum can give me...
    02 debaged bugeye with a Magnaflow Axleback, Perrin Dp, Samco IC pipes, APS Inlet, Perrin Fuel Rails, Tien H-Techs, Cobb Sway Kit, Whiteline Endlinks (Front & Back), Omori Boost Gauge, & Stg 2.....It's a good start

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Second owner?

Adjust the hood latch. Not a common problem.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Second owner?

Adjust the hood latch. Not a common problem.
    yeah I am actually but the weird thing is this just started happening when the weather took a turn for the freezing cold.... so thats why it was a little confusing to me...

Oh and how would I adjust it??
    02 debaged bugeye with a Magnaflow Axleback, Perrin Dp, Samco IC pipes, APS Inlet, Perrin Fuel Rails, Tien H-Techs, Cobb Sway Kit, Whiteline Endlinks (Front & Back), Omori Boost Gauge, & Stg 2.....It's a good start

I was afraid of my hood coming undone from the CF hood, I don't blame you for being worried.

I made sure all the springs were properly compressed and made sure I CLOSED the sucker before I went anywhere.

I suppose you could swap out the spring with one with a higher compression, also make sure it actually works the way it's supposed to and check that the cable that releases it isn't caught on something that if nudged would cause it to release.

I had the problem with my trunk because of my wing, it would already be under load and after a hard bump it would release.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Peteys02bugeye View Post
    yeah I am actually but the weird thing is this just started happening when the weather took a turn for the freezing cold.... so thats why it was a little confusing to me...

Oh and how would I adjust it??
    I suspect the previous owner used an aftermarket hood (I bet (s)he didn't even paint it...) and then swapped back to a stocker to sell the car; or, your existing hood is simply a bit off. Check the hinges and see if everything lines up, and also look at the latch itself. Has anything been unbolted or has anything shifted?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I have an 02 and had a similar problem. Cant quite say its common, but the fact that the WRX is turning 5years old, I am sure its going to start to become common. I took WD40 to it to wash out the gummed up lube that was in there and then worked in some teflon lube and its been fixed for 7 months now. If its the same problem I have been having the cable release arm is not releasing all the way so you can just push it back with a screwdriver, or your finger if you can get it in there.

Funny thing is, its actually in the Impreza Owners Manual that the WRX is a stiffer latch than the RS model. Something in the terms of "RS model hood should be dropped from at least 6" where the WRX should be dropped from at least 12" to ensure proper latching.

That 2nd latch is a DOT mandated safety feature that goes way back into the 50s. You could imagine the mess if the hood was to open like a hydoplane boat that catchs some air, and folds the hood over the windshield at 60mph, leaving the driver completely blind.

I have an '03 and it only happens to me when it is extremely cold.
    A buddy of mine saw me struggling while trying to get the darn hood closed. He decided to help me and use his bear claws to slam it. He slightly dented my aluminum hood!!

I did what afbluesv1k did and cleaned out all the old grease and relubed it.
    I had black grease from the accumulation of road dirt, grit, sand and a few bugs lodged in. I used a strong paper towel to get in between the metal parts to get the grit out.
    It is the cable release arm that gets stuck from the cold and a screw driver helps put it back in its place until you clean the gunk out.

I used a product called Cable Life that I had laying around the house.
    WD-40 is just as good and everyone has a can laying around the house. The stuff I had laying around will last me 9000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    (I bet (s)he didn't even paint it...)
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

hood latch won't catch - quick fix

Had this problem like many others here as it's pretty damn cold here now.
    Popped my hood to check the oil ... hood latch wouldn't catch when I attempted to close the hood.
    Sprayed the latch mechanism with some WD-40 and pulled on the hood latch release lever a few times ...
    Voila - hood was secured after 1 drop.

Thanks for the tips guys.
    Last edited by oystershucker; 02-19-2007 at 08:44 PM.
    2002 WRX Wagon
    Bone stock
    47,000 miles

WD-40 pwns

had this problem for the first time this winter on my 02. man, winters are fun in an 02 when the cabin smells like gas and the hood pops up and scares the living crap out of you at 70mph. i finally got the hood to close, and i DO recommend dropping it from a foot or a little more, even a hearty "pushdown" after the pop doesn't seem to fix it.
    Congressional Lobbyist for the Bugeye Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle View Post
    had this problem for the first time this winter on my 02. man, winters are fun in an 02 when the cabin smells like gas and the hood pops up and scares the living crap out of you at 70mph. i finally got the hood to close, and i DO recommend dropping it from a foot or a little more, even a hearty "pushdown" after the pop doesn't seem to fix it.
    Clean out all the road debris, grit etc. and give the cable release a good soaking of WD-40 or equivalent. You won't need to drop the hood that high.

There are two rubber adjuster tabs on your radiator support that raise and lower the hood. They're located on the corner where the radiator support and the fenders meet. Should be right behind the headlamps. Just twist them until you get a snug fit. Right to go down and left to raise.
    Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

Quote Originally Posted by XRW URABUS View Post
    Clean out all the road debris, grit etc. and give the cable release a good soaking of WD-40 or equivalent. You won't need to drop the hood that high.
    gracias. i just sprayed the whole thing liberally with WD40. i couldn't get anything in there to clean the grit, really. darn these fat fingers.
    Congressional Lobbyist for the Bugeye Mafia

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.