strange sound after pipe install

This is a discussion on strange sound after pipe install within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey guys, i just installed an uppipe and a downpipe on my 03 wrx about 2 weeks ago and everything ...

strange sound after pipe install

hey guys,
    i just installed an uppipe and a downpipe on my 03 wrx about 2 weeks ago and everything has been great until now. starting about 3-4 days ago i started to hear a strange sound coming from the engine bay. to describe the sound, the best i can do is to say when listening to it i picture the turbo heat shield not bolted down, just floppin around. it seems to be coming from the turbo area; a passenger in my car said he thought it sounded like it was coming from in front of him. i hear the sound when i go over rough areas of the road, pot holes, speed bumps, and the like, which makes me think it's something loose floppin around. however, i also hear the sound when backing up, and between shifts when i shift at higher rpm. it isn't the heat shield - i took that off and the sound remains. i've tugged at the uppipe and downpipe, but they don't seem to be loose, nor can i see anything that's loose. any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

clearance

check the clearance between the dp and the tranny mount hanger. when i installed my dp the clearance was very low, and when the exhaust torqued at all it would vibrate on the hanger.

This is common on aftermarket downpipe installs. Its most likely the downpipe bouncing on the transmission crossmember right underneath it. It happens to me when its cold outside, or when i am in reverse as well. It usually stops when the car is warmed up though.