Cold Engine Start up.

This is a discussion on Cold Engine Start up. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I have a question. I have a 06 WRX with 3k miles on it right now. When the ...

Cold Engine Start up.

Hey guys, I have a question. I have a 06 WRX with 3k miles on it right now. When the car had less than 1k miles on it and I started the car up, i would hear somekind of fan noise (maybe the turbo) for like 20-30 secs and then the noise would just stop and the car would idle with less noise.

Recently I noticed that when I start my car up, I don't hear that louder fan noise in the beginning. It just idles normally. This is my first turbo car. Is there something wrong with it?

thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BREX888 View Post
    Hey guys, I have a question. I have a 06 WRX with 3k miles on it right now. When the car had less than 1k miles on it and I started the car up, i would hear somekind of fan noise (maybe the turbo) for like 20-30 secs and then the noise would just stop and the car would idle with less noise.

Recently I noticed that when I start my car up, I don't hear that louder fan noise in the beginning. It just idles normally. This is my first turbo car. Is there something wrong with it?

thanks!
    There is nothing wrong with the car, i have the same 06' wrx and i have 6k miles on my car and ever since i got it, it always has that same noise when i start it up after a period of time. All it is is the engine warming up along w/ the turbo, and then once it's at a stable temperature, your ready to go.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

The thing is, i'm not getting that loud fan noise in the beginning anymore.

its just idle noise

Quote Originally Posted by momolicious View Post
    its just idle noise
    +1

There is nothing to worry about, its just idle noise. All it is, is that your car has started, and your car is running.

I Support ClubWRX
    You maybe used to hear your auxiliary cooling fan near your radiator because the car was still hot from when you turned it off before?

That loud fan noise is the emissions air pump subaru installed on the 06+ models. It introduces more air into the exhaust stream To clean up emissions. By adding fress air to the exhaust some of the CO (carbon monoxide) molecules could bond with an oxygen thus making it CO2 ( Carbon dioxide) a much much less harmful gas. It only is running when you first start the car because that is when the combustion process is most inefficient. Car manufacturers have been using air pumps for years just for this reason. Hope this helps
    06-wrx: stage 2 and loving every minute of it!

Quote Originally Posted by 06-wrx View Post
    That loud fan noise is the emissions air pump subaru installed on the 06+ models. It introduces more air into the exhaust stream To clean up emissions. By adding fress air to the exhaust some of the CO (carbon monoxide) molecules could bond with an oxygen thus making it CO2 ( Carbon dioxide) a much much less harmful gas. It only is running when you first start the car because that is when the combustion process is most inefficient. Car manufacturers have been using air pumps for years just for this reason. Hope this helps
    So that's what I'm hearing.

The thing is, I'm not hearing it anymore when I first start the car up in the morning. I haven't heard it in a long time. Does weather temperature affect this? Is this something I should worry about?

thanks again for the help!

I would not worry about it. I would jsut give the car a little tiem to warm up befor driving or make sure to keep it under 3K revs for a while when you start driving in the cold. Otherwise noises can and will drive you nuts. YOur sounds like one you just don't worry about - especially if you don't hear it anymore.

From my knowledge there are three things that will effect that fan to turn on. The ecu should look at coolant temperature, open/closed loop ecu operation, and how long the car has been running. I am sure that if there was something wrong you would get a CEL. When I first got my car I was worried about all the sounds it makes. I finally came to the conclusion that the boxer motors are noisy. I realized this after hearing several other WRX'S. I wouldn't worry about that fan. Even if it stayed off for good you would not notice anything, the worst that would happen is that the emissions would be dirtier on a cold start. Hope this helps.
    06-wrx: stage 2 and loving every minute of it!

Bringing up an old post, but I have a question. With the winter finally hear my car seems to no like starting in the morning. It starts, but it seems to *chug chug chug... start* instead of over the summer where I would turn the key and it would jump to life. Do all WRXs do this or is it something I should look at??
    2006 WRBlue WRX
    Cobb Tuned to Stage II, Helix Catted DP, Invidia 3" Catback
    Cobb: Short Shifter, Sport Springs, Shifter Bushings, Trans Mount, Front/Rear Sway Bars
    Redline Hood Dampeners
    20% Tint

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soupsredline View Post
    Bringing up an old post, but I have a question. With the winter finally hear my car seems to no like starting in the morning. It starts, but it seems to *chug chug chug... start* instead of over the summer where I would turn the key and it would jump to life. Do all WRXs do this or is it something I should look at??
    Yeah, mine does this as well. It sounds like like an old P.O.S. trying to start in the cold weather. I also hear a faint noise every now and then, the only way I can describe it is that it sounds like one of those call whistles duck hunters use, like an "ooo-ooga." I know it sounds retarded but that's what I hear...

Are both of these issues normal in the cold weather?
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Yes, that's completely normal. My car does this as well. Everything is colder, so its' harder for the engine to start basically. Same concept as not racing with a cold engine. Everything just runs better when its not cold.

Just think of drag racers smoking their tires at the beginning of a race.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralGeeWhiz View Post
    One more of these pointless threads and im going to bash my face into the computer screen.
    There's no replacement for displacement. Except for a fat ass turbo!!!

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Apparently you need a block heater to get it to start in really cold temps. It was down to single digits last winter in Jersey and I never had a problem in my VW, that was about the only good thing with that car.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Same situation here wit my 07 wrx. normal