CEL help needed.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on CEL help needed. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm not sure if I posted this in the wrong area but I was thinking this is more frequently viewed ...

CEL help needed.

I'm not sure if I posted this in the wrong area but I was thinking this is more frequently viewed than the others.. Blame nubism...

Car: 2002 wrx
    Mileage: 38xxx

While taking my girlfriend to work this morning..

While in 4th gear I was getting tailgated by a large Nissan truck, so I pushed the pedal down toward WOT to move up and out of his way. All of the sudden I felt what I can only describe as like a "hiccup" type feeling from car and the CEL came on. I pulled off the hwy asap and checked the engine. No smoke, steam, smells, noises... Nothing out of the ordinary. I started the car back up and the car runs like normal (at least to my knowledge) but the CEL remains on.

Now I know none of you will be able to flat out tell me (I could be wrong) what the CEL light is on for but I'd like to at least find out the most basic and common reasons for it to trigger. Again thanks for all the help. I'm moving tomorrow morning (I thought I was at least) and need to try to find out if there's an issue asap. It's now 6:30am here and the dealership is not open yet. I'll call them soon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

CEL help needed.

I'm not sure if I posted this in the wrong area but I was thinking this is more frequently viewed than the others.. Blame nubism...

While in 4th gear I was getting tailgated by a large Nissan truck, so I pushed the pedal down toward WOT to move up and out of his way. All of the sudden I felt what I can only describe as like a "hiccup" type feeling from car and the CEL came on. I pulled off the hwy asap and checked the engine. No smoke, steam, smells, noises... Nothing out of the ordinary. I started the car back up and the car runs like normal (at least to my knowledge) but the CEL remains on.

Now I know none of you will be able to flat out tell me (I could be wrong) what the CEL light is on for but I'd like to at least find out the most basic and common reasons for it to trigger. Again thanks for all the help. I'm moving tomorrow morning (I thought I was at least) and need to try to find out if there's an issue asap. It's now 6:30am here and the dealership is not open yet. I'll call them soon

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like you hit fuel cut.

Do you have a boost controller?
    What mods?

CEL help needed.

It may have been a misfire. It is in your best interest to go to a local autozone to get the check engine light code pulled for free. Write down the CEL numbers and search this forum for what it means.

It has a bov/mbc. I didn't get to WOT when it happened. I'd say 3/4..

Edit: I didn't mod it. It came like that from the person I bought it from. The car is in super condition and the previous owner is a mechanical engineer.
    Last edited by iamcgr; 01-23-2007 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Addition.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by iamcgr View Post
    It has a bov/mbc. I didn't get to WOT when it happened. I'd say 3/4..

Edit: I didn't mod it. It came like that from the person I bought it from. The car is in super condition and the previous owner is a mechanical engineer.
    The precious owner didn't do his homework. Both of those mods are hacks. The boost controller caused your fuel cut.

I've heard that. I can remove the MBC easily so I might do that.

Does a "fuel cut" have any damaging effects on my car?

Edit: Would a "fuel cut" cause the CEL to trigger?
    Last edited by iamcgr; 01-23-2007 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Addition

I Support ClubWRX
    I've heard that. I can remove the MBC easily so I might do that.

Does a "fuel cut" have any damaging effects on my car?

Edit: Would a "fuel cut" cause the CEL to trigger?
    Yes it will cause a cel to trigger, and yes it's damaging. Your car is over boosting and running lean.

Doh

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Yes it will cause a cel to trigger, and yes it's damaging. Your car is over boosting and running lean.
    Yeah I just read this:

It now can't flow enough exhaust at peak pressure to slow the turbo down, leading to a slow buildup in peak boost pressure, otherwise known as boost creep. This ultimately leads to an overboost condition, usually exhibited by a CEL and fuel cut (your car suddenly lurches and dies or cuts out and back in at full throttle.....a horrible experience believe me!!!!)
    Sounds like what you're saying. I think I'll remove the MBC and take it into the dealer to check the CEL.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah I just read this:

Sounds like what you're saying. I think I'll remove the MBC and take it into the dealer to check the CEL.
    This isn't boost creep. this case is just plain overboosting. An MBC requires constant adjustment for changing weather conditions.

p0244

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    This isn't boost creep. this case is just plain overboosting.

I believe you are right. Went to Autozone to get the code read (per suggestion of a clubwrx user) and pulled P0244. I am removing the MBC when it's a little warmer outside. When I get to my destination (600mi) I'll have a dealership/mechanic look at the wastegate to make sure it's not trashed.

Once again amazed at the power of the internet. Saved me 100$ diag fee. TY.

I Support ClubWRX

Once again amazed at the power of the internet. Saved me 100$ diag fee. TY.
    Anytime

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.