Help!!! Advise Needed!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Help!!! Advise Needed! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all, 26 male here. I've got a weird story. I have a 99 Buick Regal with all the bells ...

Help!!! Advise Needed!

Hi all, 26 male here. I've got a weird story. I have a 99 Buick Regal with all the bells and whistles. She's got traction control but every time I go on a little bit of ice, she slides like the devil!

I'm thinking maybe it's the tyres. They are "Touring" tyres by BF Goodrich. Anyone know about the quality of them?

Anyway, I was going about 25 mph on a straight road and was coming to a left turn. I braked but they locked up and I had no traction. So I could have gone straight into someone's driveway, which was on an incline, and hoped the momentum would dissipate by then. If it didn't, then I'd slam into his house. I decided to turn to the left and go into the curb instead. I tried braking hard but still had no traction, and at about 15 mph, my right front tyre slammed into the curb

My car didn't go over the curb, only the right front tyre. I heard a loud "shrankkk!" noise as it hit the curb. I reversed and got straightened out, then tried to drive it. The car's steering was totally out of whack and she was pulling way to the left. I got out to inspect the damage and saw that the aluminum wheel had been cracked. The "shrankkk" noise I'd heard was the wheel hitting the curb and it looks like it had absorbed the brunt of the impact. So I got a used rim today which cost 100 bucks and I'll get the same tyre put on it tomorrow at wal mart.

My questions:

A) Can I drive the car to wal mart with the damaged wheel on, or should I put the spare on? The tyre appears to be deformed due to the warping in the wheel. It's about 10 minutes drive but I can only drive at about 15 mph max. so it'll take about 35 minutes to get there. The right tyre makes a strange noise when I turn it either left or right, even at almost no speed. Hence is it wise to drive it 3 miles or so?

B) Am I looking at any major internal damage, especially to the tie rod ends or the axle??

Please give me advise! Thank you.
    Last edited by diserbianet; 01-20-2007 at 04:11 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by diserbianet View Post
    Hi all, 26 male here. I've got a weird story. I have a 99 Buick Regal with all the bells and whistles. She's got traction control but every time I go on a little bit of ice, she slides like the devil!

I'm thinking maybe it's the tyres. They are "Touring" tyres by BF Goodrich. Anyone know about the quality of them?

Anyway, I was going about 25 mph on a straight road and was coming to a left turn. I braked but they locked up and I had no traction. So I could have gone straight into someone's driveway, which was on an incline, and hoped the momentum would dissipate by then. If it didn't, then I'd slam into his house. I decided to turn to the left and go into the curb instead. I tried braking hard but still had no traction, and at about 15 mph, my right front tyre slammed into the curb

My car didn't go over the curb, only the right front tyre. I heard a loud "shrankkk!" noise as it hit the curb. I reversed and got straightened out, then tried to drive it. The car's steering was totally out of whack and she was pulling way to the left. I got out to inspect the damage and saw that the aluminum wheel had been cracked. The "shrankkk" noise I'd heard was the wheel hitting the curb and it looks like it had absorbed the brunt of the impact. So I got a used rim today which cost 100 bucks and I'll get the same tyre put on it tomorrow at wal mart.

My questions:

A) Can I drive the car to wal mart with the damaged wheel on, or should I put the spare on? The tyre appears to be deformed due to the warping in the wheel. It's about 10 minutes drive but I can only drive at about 15 mph max. so it'll take about 35 minutes to get there. The right tyre makes a strange noise when I turn it either left or right, even at almost no speed. Hence is it wise to drive it 3 miles or so?

B) Am I looking at any major internal damage, especially to the tie rod ends or the axle??

Please give me advise! Thank you.

A) No, you need to put the spare on. You will be a road hazard going 15 MPH for 35 minutes and the wheel situation isn't safe.

B) You should look at it very carefully. Compare all of the suspension pieces to those on the left side and see if anything is bent. Get an alignment when you get the tire and have them check for damage.

Hey guys I went to wal-mart and got the tyre put on my new rim. But now the 'low tire' light stays on. What the heck is going on???

Also, the car yanks very suddenly to the left or the right. The steering seems to be totally off. It's very dangerous to drive the car right now.

There's also a funny noise coming when I change gears and even from the steering column sometimes.

I'm really worried. Suggestions?

Some photos of the damage + new rim + underside

Hi fellas. I took some pictures of the old rim, the new rim with the old tyre mounted on it, which I got mounted onto the car at wal-mart. And finally, some pictures of the parts near the new rim.

I'm showing the old rim so you can see how badly damaged it is and if this sort of thing leads to problems. I'm showing the new rim so if someone can tell me whether the tyre looks warped on it. And lastly, I'm showing parts near the new rim so that someone can perhaps tell me if he sees any sort of damage. The last 2 photos are taken from the backside, the others of the parts near the wheel are from the front.

Thank you so much in advance!

-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lizard and Lab 004.jpg   Lizard and Lab 005.jpg   Lizard and Lab 008.jpg   Lizard and Lab 010.jpg   Lizard and Lab 012.jpg  

Lizard and Lab 017.jpg   Lizard and Lab 018.jpg   Lizard and Lab 020.jpg   Lizard and Lab 022.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by diserbianet View Post
    Hey guys I went to wal-mart and got the tyre put on my new rim. But now the 'low tire' light stays on. What the heck is going on???

Also, the car yanks very suddenly to the left or the right. The steering seems to be totally off. It's very dangerous to drive the car right now.

There's also a funny noise coming when I change gears and even from the steering column sometimes.

I'm really worried. Suggestions?
    Sorry to say it sounds pretty buggered up. You might have broken the tie rod and your wheel is just wandering around, or possibly did some damage to the rack. This would cause the sudden jerking left or right. The noise when you change gears might be a damaged CV joint on your axle. You really can't drive the care anymore the way it is - its going to end up killing someone.

Hey mycologist, thanks for the reply. Can you make out anything from the photos I attached in my last post?

I Support ClubWRX
    I couldn't really see enough to tell anything. The rubber boot for your CV joint right by the wheel looks like it is going at a funny angle is all. Oh, and there are some wires cut there that probably relate to your pressure sensor. If you get under there and tug on stuff you should be able to find something that is real loose.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by mycologist; 01-21-2007 at 04:27 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.