no boost..help needed

This is a discussion on no boost..help needed within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have a o4 wagon and threw a invidia divorced dp and invidia "racing" cat back. also put on a ...

no boost..help needed

i have a o4 wagon and threw a invidia divorced dp and invidia "racing" cat back. also put on a turbo XS FMIC with BOV venting back into the system. ever since i put the exhaust on.. 1st gear no boost. 2nd-5th i only get a half bar. before i put this stuff on i was pushing almost one bar. any suggestions and/or advise is much appriciated.

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wastegate sticking open on the divorce baffle inside downpipe.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

hmmm so im gonna have to pull it off and shave it down then? ok ill give it a shot. do i have shave down the end thats sticking out or just the side of the baffle? thanks
    Last edited by krakkaplease; 01-18-2007 at 10:55 AM.

Well I'd check to see if it's actually sticking before taking it off, push on the wastegate arm to se if it moves freely.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

I Support ClubWRX
    If you find it is sticking on the divider plate, unless you want boost leak, shave the divider down, not the wastegate. There may be enough overlap on the gat seat to allow you to shave it, but unless you template it out, you risk allowing seapage past the WG, which will lower your peak boost and make it fluctuate.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Do you have any kind of engine management? If not I suspect that could part of the problem as well. And if you don't, get some and get tuned yesterday.

hmm no engine management. but i am in the process of deciding which ems i want to get. btw the watsegate arm moves about 3/4 of an inch. does that sound right? is it possible the car might be in limp mode?

I Support ClubWRX
    If it were in limp mode, you would at least have a CEL to alert you.

I can't remember how much the WG arm moves, but if your DP splitter sticks in far enough, it could be hitting against it and not sticking at all...which would give you the same symptoms.

I know you don't want to hear this, but to figure out if it is the splitter (which is a bit unusual if you ask me), you would need to swap out the DP again to be sure.

Since you've put on a FMIC, TBE, and recirculating BOV, there could be a number of other reasons...vacuum leak, discharge leak, etc. Since it happened after the DP install, that is the likely culprit. Have you messed with your WG spring or adjustment at all?

BTW...get some EM. How are you defeating the CELs that come with the TBE install and no EMS...the O2 sensor for one? You must have some other mods you have not stated.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

yeah i am currently swaping out the downpipe. no big deal. one thing i didnt state is i got turbo timer oh and a short ram intake. i didnt mess with the WG at all. to cure the o2 sensor code i just got two no foulers. seems to be doing the trick. im about to order cobb ems this week.

UPDATE:
    replaced the TBE with the factory exhaust. still no boost in first gear. i was driving it around for a couple days then it started boosting in first gear. all i can figure out is that it went through a couple of drive cycles of everything working proplerly, so it would allow boost. had to have been in some kind of prevent mode. also had it scanned and there wasnt any codes.