Blown Engine?

This is a discussion on Blown Engine? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Please bear with me.. because I don't actually know THAT much about the mechanics of my car... just the basics... ...

Exclamation Blown Engine?

Please bear with me.. because I don't actually know THAT much about the mechanics of my car... just the basics...

Okay... so this is the deal. A little while ago I decided to replace the turbo in my '02 WRX Wagon. Got a great deal from Greddy on a new turbo... also on a new up-pipe, down-pipe and catback exhaust. So I replaced it all, isntalled the jdm Sti injectors, and a new fuel pump. I got it tuned and everything was running great... except I think that it was a little too much stress on my engine... which at th time already had about 95,000 miles on it... I ended up blowing out a cylinder.. and cracking the block.

The crack wasn't bad.. and was repairable. Meanwhile.. I replaced EVERYTHING with forged internals. New pistons, sleeves, rods, valves, retainers, lifters, high performance cams... everything... the complete works. After the tuning everything was running INCREDIBLE. Unforunately... by Greddy Boost controller (E-01) was a little unreliable above 12psi... and I needed a fuel pressure regulator to boost above 12 psi... but at 12... I was running at about 270hp at the wheels. I was loving life for a while...

But then... there was a critical error. I'm not sure exactly WHAT happened... but for a little whie... the car was running on pretty much ZERO oil. It happened within about 2 weeks of an oil change (so it didn't ALL burn up)... and there was no evidence of leaks... but during a drive.. the oil light started flashing at me... and I coud hear a loud 'clicking' noise coming from the engine.

I pulled over at the gas station immediately... and checked the oil. There was nothing on the dip stick... I bought two quarts of oil and poured it in... STILL nothing on the dip stick. I bought two MORE quarts of oil... and poured one in... then it said I was a quart low... so I poured in the fourth.. and was fially full.

I drove away.. and the clicking resumed... it started getting louder and louder so I exited the freeway. Shortly after, at the next stop light, the car just died.. and wouldn't start again.

I was afraid the engine has completely siezed. I had the car towed home... I tried to start the car up the next morning and it actually started. The clicking is still there... but the engine turns over okay.. and actually runs relatively smooth... so I don't think I lost a piston. There isn't any smoke, so I don't think I ruined my seals. I'm kind of hoping that all the damage is isolated at JUST my valves.

Anyone have any idea? I live in Anaheim... and would like to take my car in for repair... but am looking for some recommendations. My last round of MAJOR engine work was at GT Motorsports in Rancho Cucamonga. I think that they did an AMAZING job... and I was really impressed with their services... but everything cost me an arm and a leg. I don't have that kind of money to spend this time around... but still want quality work. Any recommendations in the OC area. I need it to be a place that has the facilities to DO an engine rebuild if I need it... The car is also LIKELY gonna need tuning so I need an All-Wheel Drive dyno. I can always take it back to GT Motorsports JUST for the tuning, if I need to.... I also know that Turbo XS in Huntington Beach has a dyno.... but I don't know how reasonable they would be from a cost of repair standpoint.

Ideas? Comments? Suggestions are appreciated....

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

your only runing 12 psi? with all the mods that you listed you'll be safe at 25+ psi. your block should be bomb proof! im runing 19 psi with stock block and 63k miles on the motor with no problems. Knock on wood! and 270 awhp at 12 psi is really really high for the ej20 motor. i dont know.... nothing is adding up for me when i read you story. maybe a very agressive tune @ low psi? plus a bad install? i dont know!
    fp18g = 315awhp 275tq.

Registered User lovetheboost121's Avatar
    the clicking noise sounds like you spun a rod, ran it low on oil and the rod bearings went bad. i hope thats not the case but i know that sound from a previous experience on another car, my only question is where could your oil have gone??
    Die Trying, Not Watching!!

2002 Subaru wrx stage 2
    2000 Kawasaki KX250
    2004 Honda CRF450

hey

man hey sheik i did the same thing last week i did spin a bearing its in the shop getting fixed right now its bad u need a whole engine rebuild its expensive

and hey i live in anaheim too by knotts berry farm

ame problem

i hhave the same prob i ran my car with low oil and it just turned of on me and now when i try 2 start my sti it cranks slow what u think the prob is?