Keeping WRX in very cold region
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Keeping WRX in very cold region within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My WRX stays in the mountains here in CO frequently where it can get pretty cold. When the temps drop ...

Keeping WRX in very cold region

My WRX stays in the mountains here in CO frequently where it can get pretty cold. When the temps drop below 0 or so at night, in the morning the car can be tough to start. You really gotta just keep trying in short bursts for awhile and then eventually work into giving it gas. I've heard of people using some kind of heating element to keep the oil or coolant warm at night. Is this a widely accepted practice? Is there any reason not to do this?
    02 wagon stock

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Yeah i have also seen the heating pads that can be put under the engine block and on the battery. I think they work pretty well and are fairly cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by fossill View Post
    My WRX stays in the mountains here in CO frequently where it can get pretty cold. When the temps drop below 0 or so at night, in the morning the car can be tough to start. You really gotta just keep trying in short bursts for awhile and then eventually work into giving it gas. I've heard of people using some kind of heating element to keep the oil or coolant warm at night. Is this a widely accepted practice? Is there any reason not to do this?
    you could get like they do for diseals the heating coil that you can wrap around the block and plug in 10 minutes before you leave or something
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

Basically you need a block heater at those temps. You can get two basic types, A coollant heater installed in the block or an oil heater you can stick on the bottom of the oil pan...A battry blanket is good to have too, as it keeps the battry warm and ready to crank engine over with lots of oompfh and a warm battry will take a charge right away when engine is running.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

Quote Originally Posted by fossill View Post
    or you can always do what Alaskans do, plug it in at night that never fails lol...

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Block heaters were an inexpensive option on the WRX. You might check the dealer and see if they have one that will mount up easily.

Block Heaters

I live up in Canada. And we are having quite the winter right now too. My car is originally from Iowa, and didnt have a block heater installed. Took it to our local dealer, and they installed one for $170 bucks canadian. Easy to do yourself too, as it simply bolts into a hole on the engine, with an extension chord fed through the lower air dam.

RSX-S
    Sold: '03 WRX Wagon (bugeyes rock!)

Quote Originally Posted by pweizman View Post
    looks like it just screws into the gallery plug on top of the block all you need to do to install is remove the ic and screw it in
    04 WRX Java Black
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

Quote Originally Posted by bkotzman00 View Post
    looks like it just screws into the gallery plug on top of the block all you need to do to install is remove the ic and screw it in
    Yea......the above option is your best bet...........
    PSM Bugeye..Cobb Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by Robman7835 View Post
    Yea......the above option is your best bet...........
    and a decent price to boot
    04 WRX Java Black
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

and a decent price to boot
    For sure......If my car had to sit outside I would consider this just so i had a warm car in the morning.........
    PSM Bugeye..Cobb Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by Robman7835 View Post
    For sure......If my car had to sit outside I would consider this just so i had a warm car in the morning.........
    you must be one of those shiny garage kept car guys

mine stays outside around here and it is no problem but I have an Optima Red Top so that helps to
    04 WRX Java Black
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

you must be one of those shiny garage kept car guys

mine stays outside around here and it is no problem but I have an Optima Red Top so that helps to

Its not shiny...............but it is garage kept
    PSM Bugeye..Cobb Stage 2

yea I noticed in another thread that eventhough you have a bugeye you have the same or less miles than my blobeye
    04 WRX Java Black
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.