oil drain plug leaks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on oil drain plug leaks within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; after i change my oil on the 06 tr, the plug will leak after a couple of hours. the dealer ...

oil drain plug leaks

after i change my oil on the 06 tr, the plug will leak after a couple of hours. the dealer does supply me with the washer that goes in between the plug and oil pan, but it stil leaks. anybody else have this problem?

has anbody tried useing a FRAM oil filter? subaru ones are like 12 beans, i piked up a FRAM @ kragen for 9.99. i am a little hesitant about using it though. is there a difference in the subaru and the FRAM?
    06 CGM STi
    ERZ Downpipe, K and N Drop in filter.
    Welfare Mods:Silencer Delete

05 Flame RED SRT-4
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I have, but it stopped when I tightened it more. The washer will begin to crush. It crushes so that you don't strip the threads, so don't bottom it out.

I Support ClubWRX
    I am still using the OEM crush washer that came with my car when I first got it and have changed the oil 4 times myself with no leaks.

The only time I used a subaru oil filter is when it came on the car. Since then I have used Fram and NAPA. If you change your oil regularly, every 3k or so, the brand of filter really doesnt matter much.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    I am still using the OEM crush washer that came with my car when I first got it and have changed the oil 4 times myself with no leaks.

The only time I used a subaru oil filter is when it came on the car. Since then I have used Fram and NAPA. If you change your oil regularly, every 3k or so, the brand of filter really doesnt matter much.

mine didn't even come with a washer.

so the washer isn't really there to seal? its just there so you won't strip the threads? so i guess you dont even need the washer then right?
    06 CGM STi

05 Flame RED SRT-4
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTFH3030 View Post
    mine didn't even come with a washer.

so the washer isn't really there to seal? its just there so you won't strip the threads? so i guess you dont even need the washer then right?
    No you need the crush washer. Mine came with one as I think all Subis do. But they fall off when you accidently drop the drain plug in the oil drain pan.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

No you need the crush washer. Mine came with one as I think all Subis do. But they fall off when you accidently drop the drain plug in the oil drain pan.

mine didn't. thats why i thought it was weird when i first changed my oil and the parts guy gave me a washer.
    06 CGM STi

05 Flame RED SRT-4
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah they leak without the washer.

The guy we bought the shop bugeye from thought he cracked his oil pan. But after being on here I new it was just a missing washer.

Yeah my subi dealer has them taped to the oil filter boxes
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    OP: Out of curiosity, what spec are you tightening the draing plug to? I think 33 lb-ft is the correct torque.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    If you change your oil regularly, every 3k or so, the brand of filter really doesnt matter much.
    I could be wrong, but oil filters are supposed to work better once they've been on for a bit. Some prefer not to change it every time because it works better for the second 3K (or whatever).

I don't recall ever paying $12 for a 2003 filter, but I do prefer the Subaru filters.

after i change my oil on the 06 tr, the plug will leak after a couple of hours. the dealer does supply me with the washer that goes in between the plug and oil pan, but it stil leaks. anybody else have this problem?
    I had this problem. I replaced the crush washer and tourqued the plug again. No more leak. Sounds kind of crazy, but I did this withoug draining the oil again.

Also, make sure the flat side of the crush washer is seated against the drain plug not the oil pan before re-installing.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I could be wrong, but oil filters are supposed to work better once they've been on for a bit. Some prefer not to change it every time because it works better for the second 3K (or whatever).

I don't recall ever paying $12 for a 2003 filter, but I do prefer the Subaru filters.
    A filter never works as good as when it is new. True for oil, air and hydraulic

Filters are rated for the Micron size of particle they will filter out. As long as you use a comperable Micron of filter to the stock one, shouldn't make a difference. Especially if you change oil regularly.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 01-11-2007 at 01:40 PM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I refuse to allow a fram filter on any of my 2 cars.
    http://svt4u2try.com | Myspace | Photos
    97 Cobra, 98 Z/28 hardtop

I Support ClubWRX
    I have a very slight leak at the plug too - first time I ever have.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpatters View Post
    I had this problem. I replaced the crush washer and tourqued the plug again. No more leak. Sounds kind of crazy, but I did this withoug draining the oil again.
    Yes ... it does. Just how did you do this?

Quote Originally Posted by dcpatters View Post
    Also, make sure the flat side of the crush washer is seated against the drain plug not the oil pan before re-installing.
    I do not remember if I did this the last time.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX

has anbody tried useing a FRAM oil filter? subaru ones are like 12 beans, i piked up a FRAM @ kragen for 9.99. i am a little hesitant about using it though. is there a difference in the subaru and the FRAM?
    Holy balls! Is that 9.99 Canandian? Frams are about a third of that US around here. Either way they're garbage. Get a Purolator or a Wix.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GV27 View Post
    Holy balls! Is that 9.99 Canandian? Frams are about a third of that US around here. Either way they're garbage. Get a Purolator or a Wix.
    Its funny how in different parts of the US certain brands are more prevalent than others. In California its like hens teeth to find a purolator filter. Wix is a little more common, but even bosh filters are more common here.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast