oil drain plug leaks - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on oil drain plug leaks within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX Yes ... it does. Just how did you do this? I placed a drain pan and ...

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Yes ... it does. Just how did you do this?
    I placed a drain pan and tray under the car. I then removed the drain plug. With my free hand (doned with rubber glove) I placed index finger from said hand in the drain hole. With other hand, passed the drain plug to my wife so she could clean it and install the crush washer. Afterwards, I quickly removed my finger and inserted the drain plug and re-torqued it. Don't get me wrong, I spilled some oil into the drain pan, but no more than a cup.

My logic here, I had just did a fresh oil change with Amsoil and had no clean pan for re-draining. I was desparate not to waste it.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpatters View Post
    I placed a drain pan and tray under the car. I then removed the drain plug. With my free hand (doned with rubber glove) I placed index finger from said hand in the drain hole. With other hand, passed the drain plug to my wife so she could clean it and install the crush washer. Afterwards, I quickly removed my finger and inserted the drain plug and re-torqued it. Don't get me wrong, I spilled some oil into the drain pan, but no more than a cup.

My logic here, I had just did a fresh oil change with Amsoil and had no clean pan for re-draining. I was desparate not to waste it.
    OK then. Sounds like a plan.

Except I have no longer am burdened with a wife ( ) - I can find a helper.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

if you don't see a crush washer, then its probably just fused to the drain plug from overtightening. i used to get my oil changed at shops. for $10 worth of labor, its worth saving myself the trouble right? nope. they stripped out my pan and ever since i've done it myself, replacing the crush washer every time. it doesn't take much torque at all...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12