i think my starter is dead.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on i think my starter is dead. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So ever since i bought my car its been having some problems with my starter. I would turn the key ...

i think my starter is dead.

So ever since i bought my car its been having some problems with my starter.

I would turn the key and sometimes it would turn on ok. But most times it would not.

I would head a click then another noise kind of like a clunk. so i would try over and over until it turned on.

Now there were times when i tried it so many times that i would only hear a click. Then i had to disconnect the battery and re connect it in order to get both sounds and get it to turn on.

Now today when i was trying to get to school. It just would not turn on. I tried it so many times, fast, slow but nothing.

I am prety sure its my starter. My battery is fine everything turns on perfectly.

Any ideas? About how much dose a starter run for?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ohh yeah i forgot. I have a 2003 WRX.

I Support ClubWRX
    How did you test the battery?

well. my lights turn on, my dvd player turns on my interior light turn on and they dont dim when i try turn the key.

check the battery the clicking you hear is the relay, but when you hear clicking and no starter motor the battery is low
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bkotzman00 View Post
    check the battery the clicking you hear is the relay, but when you hear clicking and no starter motor the battery is low
    ^^^ What he said. Get a load tester and check it.

i do hear the starter. or.... i think i do...

i hear the click when i turn the key ten right after i head a another noise like a clunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravioli1720 View Post
    i do hear the starter. or.... i think i do...

i hear the click when i turn the key ten right after i head a another noise like a clunk.
    ? not sure what that is just go to autozone and have them check the battery it is free and takes 10 minutes
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

Sounds like what happened to my girlfriends Kia Sportage. Car would occasionally crank over and run fine but other times you would turn the key and nothign would happen. Replaced the starter and the problem was fixed. Pull the starter and have it tested at an Autozone or Pep Boys.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

pull the starter... man that sounds hard. i dont think ive ever done that.

hhmm... i think if i could get it to start up im going to take it to my friends shot to check it out.

before i go im going to call the dealer just in case i have to replace anything.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.