Two Questions: Shocks and 60Kmi service
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Two Questions: Shocks and 60Kmi service within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi folks, I have two questions I'd like to ask you all. First, I'm about due to take my 2003 ...

Two Questions: Shocks and 60Kmi service

Hi folks,

I have two questions I'd like to ask you all. First, I'm about due to take my 2003 WRX wagon in for its 60Kmi service. What can I expect these guys to do (what're they supposed to do), and, how much will it cost on average?

Secondly, How long can I expect my original factory shocks to last? The car seems to feel and handle fine. I'm a "stocker", not really into modifying the car, I'm happy with the stock set-up. I just want to know when I should expect to have to replace them, and with what. Does anyone know who makes the stock shocks? (Gabriel? ???) I am assuming buying a name-brand shock at Kragan's will be as good, and cheaper, than buying them from the dealer. True?

Thanks!
    Subie Doo

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Check out the "Stickie" thread at the top of this maintenance forum for some general info... or try the search utility, it comes in handy for things like this.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Subie Doo View Post
    What can I expect these guys to do (what're they supposed to do), and, how much will it cost on average?
    The procedures are listed in the owner's manual and can cost from $300 to $500 depending on where you have them done. DIY is not difficult at all and there are instructions here and elsewhere (scoobymods, nasioc) for everything. I'd recommend DIY if you're up for it, it'll save hundreds.

Secondly, How long can I expect my original factory shocks to last? The car seems to feel and handle fine. I'm a "stocker", not really into modifying the car, I'm happy with the stock set-up. I just want to know when I should expect to have to replace them, and with what. Does anyone know who makes the stock shocks? (Gabriel? ???)
    On tarmac road use and outside major cities the stock shocks should last indefinitely. Harsher use will shorten their lifespan. They are made by Kayaba, not Gabriel. You can replace them with other Kayaba products like the GR2 or the adjustable AGX, or with other products from Koni etc. Aftermarket is usually cheaper.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks guys.

I did look around a bit, and tried the search, but for some reason it didn't turn up anything. Go figure.

Kayaba shocks, eh? Thanks for that. Man, I've NEVER heard of an OEM shock lasting indefinately! Usually they put on the cheapest crap they can get away with, an yer lucky if they last 50K. But then, that was on American cars.

Cheers!

I Support ClubWRX
    These days most people that change dampers either do it for performance or as a result of another modification, like springs etc. that shorten the stockers' lifespan. On good roads and with any luck (no unexplained leaks etc.) the stockers will really last a long time. Mine are fine on my 02.

There's a number of threads that have discussions about firmness and costs for a few options out there if you're interested. Have a luck in the suspension forum.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Each dealership has their own Maint package. I would inquire what they have to offer if it meets your needs or you can look in your owners manual.

Stock ride control, let alone any ride control will not last indefinately. Over time these parts will wear and lose the ability to perform including factory oem parts. Whether the seals go and they leak or the fact that they are just worn out, it will happen.
    http://svt4u2try.com | Myspace | Photos
    97 Cobra, 98 Z/28 hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by Subie Doo View Post
    Hi folks,

I have two questions I'd like to ask you all. First, I'm about due to take my 2003 WRX wagon in for its 60Kmi service. What can I expect these guys to do (what're they supposed to do), and, how much will it cost on average?

Thanks!
    Subie Doo
    My local dealer charged almost 800 dollars for the service and half way through called and told me it was going to be an extra hundred because the spark plugs on the WRX were too hard to get to. I pitched a fit and told them to spend the labor time bleeding my brake fluid and put it toward the spark plugs as I just had them bled. They told be the "brake fluid replacement" was merley sticking a baster in the fluid reseviour and sucking out the old fluid and pouring in some new fluid. I was really losing it by this time screaming wtf would that do? They ended up eating the extra hour but I was so pissed off I never went back there and gave them a piece of my mind when I left.

Soooo, when you go, make sure they aren't going to add in any extra charges and make sure they actually bleed your brakes as just putting in new fresh fluid is like dumping out half a glass of sour milk and filling it with fresh and telling you it's OK to drink.

YIKES! You guys are scarin' me!
    Dealer shops, can't live with 'em....can't live without 'em?

I've had some bad experiences with dealers too. Not Subaru tho. At least not yet. The only repairs my local Subie dealer has done for me was on my 96 300ZX Turbo. Clutch gave out. While they were fixing that, they discovered a leaky valve cover gasket. Not good in a very tight and hot (heh-heh heh-heh, he said TIght and Hot) (shut up, Butthead) engine compartment. Total bill came to $2400. Decided right then and there to sell it and by a WRX. Those 300ZX's are EXPENSIVO to work on! (Can anyone say $2000 for a timing belt change?)

So, guys, is anyone on this board from the Placerville, Ca area?? Anyone actually have any issues with Shingle Springs Nissan/Subaru? Not ALL dealerships suck.
    Do they?

Rob

60k here runs about $600 if i remember right. I think my employee cost is around $500 -$550. i had one done on my WRX in the summer so i dont remember exactly.

Cost is going to vary by dealer depending on what they actually do. They set their own packages for the most part so even though one might be more money, they might also be doing more. you just need to ask for a detailed list of what they do with their price and compare it with a couple others.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

[QUOTE=SD_GR;1792848]The procedures are listed in the owner's manual and can cost from $300 to $500 depending on where you have them done.
    QUOTE]

thats dirt cheap. I have never seen a subaru 60k for $300. almost sounds like a 30k price.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Damn that is crazy Ratters. What I dont get is how they can actually have balls to say they are incompetant. If they charge a set amount to change plugs and their tech cant do the job, then he lost his @ss off period. You don't go and ask for more money!

My 60k for a WRX is around $630 but I am also servicing alot as well.
    http://svt4u2try.com | Myspace | Photos
    97 Cobra, 98 Z/28 hardtop

60k at my dealership is $446.48
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

Final tally for Subie Doo's 60k service

Well folks, since I started this thread, I thought I should report back with what actually went down.

Here is a list of what they did:

[I]CHECK[I] Fluid levels, add as needed (note: they did not replace fluid, nor bleed)

Clean battery terminals, check drive belts (which were cracked, all replaced, ~$120)

I asked them not to change the oil, as I planned to take it to take it to my usual place that uses Mobile 1 synth. I should have bought the oil and had Subaru do the change, as apparently they only charge $8 labor. How do I know this? Because they treid to charge me for it, until I called it to the service writer's attention. He appologized and corrected it, saying it was his mistake as he "always puts that in there automatically" (they had not charged me for the oil or filter). So I believed him.

Check steering linkage, gear box, suspention parts and drive shaft for damage.

Check exhaust system for proper attachment, leaks or damage.

CHANGE manual trans and differential oil.

Inspect Master VAC, brake linings, master cyl, drums/rotors, pads, and operation of brake system and ABS.

DRAIN and replace coolant. Inspect hoses, connections and radiator.
    (Found leak in upper radiator tank seam. Replacing radiator tomorrow, ~$450)

REPLACE spark plugs, set timing, adjust idle speed, check mixture ratio.
    Inspect wires, cap & rotor. (they don't replace these??? Harumph!)

REPLACE fuel filter. Inspect fuel system.

Adjust clutch.

Check exterior lights, and road test vehicle.

Parts:
    Fuel filter - $29.95
    Coolant - $18.95
    Coolant conditioner - $1.98
    Battery pads - $3.50
    Spark plugs, platinum - $51.80
    Bulb (?) - $1.50 (Guess they found one burnt out)
    80-90wt lube oil - $6.00
    Drive belt - $95.00
    V-Belt - $15.95
    A/C Belt - $15.95

Total cost of parts, labor an taxes: $523.20

Not bad, I guess, except for the additional cost of having to replace the radiator tomorrow for an additional $450. Ouch! But, we have 3 cats, and having a leaky radiator leaking coolant on the ground is not a good thing. We'd like to keep them around. And if this is the LAST time I have to take this vehicle in to the shop (excepting oil changes) then I'll be happy!

Thanks for all the feedback folks!
    Cheers,
    Rob

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.