subura warranty a joke
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on subura warranty a joke within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ive owned my sti for all of about a month. I purchased it used with about 28,000 miles on it. ...

subura warranty a joke

Ive owned my sti for all of about a month. I purchased it used with about 28,000 miles on it. I started noticing a clicking noise in the rear end so I took it in. Turned out both axles need to be replaced due to the cage being cracked. so they tell me they have to call the rep to get approval. They do and he says no on the claim because there has only been problems with axles with people racing them. So of course I get mad and ask them if there is anything that can be done. The dealer contacts him again and tells him that I am a good customer etc... and they dont want to lose me as a customer. he finally agrees to just pay for the parts. well luckily my dealer agreed to do the work for free. So out of all this I really learned that subaru's warranty is basically a joke. Oh and the rep also relayed they message to me that any engine mods or suspension mods would void ALL warranty. so I guess that kinda limits what I can do to it now. I guess I thought subaru would back their cars better.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    With all due respect (and IMO), it really doesn't make sense for an automaker to honor the warranty for components that have been modified or abused. Axle issues at 28,000 miles? Sounds to me like your car has indeed been put through it's paces pretty hard.

Do you really expect Subaru of America to just keep throwing cash at you no matter how much you thrash the car?
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    With all due respect (and IMO), it really doesn't make sense for an automaker to honor the warranty for components that have been modified or abused. Axle issues at 28,000 miles? Sounds to me like your car has indeed been put through it's paces pretty hard.

Do you really expect Subaru of America to just keep throwing cash at you no matter how much you thrash the car?
    +1 I know from the first mod I did till now that while I was making the car more fun I knew that if anything broke even if it wasn't do to my modding I would have to pay for it ... it is just something that has to accepted
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bkotzman00 View Post
    it is just something that has to accepted
    Exactly. You wanna play, you gotta pay.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Read Carefully!

If you would have read the OP concerns completely, you would have noticed that he has had the car for a month, and bought it used with 28k miles on it. Now I am not saying that the damage could not have been caused by the OP, but common sense tells me something was wrong with the car when he bought it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DubleUaReX View Post
    If you would have read the OP concerns completely, you would have noticed that he has had the car for a month, and bought it used with 28k miles on it. Now I am not saying that the damage could not have been caused by the OP, but common sense tells me something was wrong with the car when he bought it.
    I never said otherwise. My statement about thrashing the car was directed at a general "you", to make a point about warranties, and not at him in particular.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

No amount of mods can VOID the warranty. They like to throw that around, but by law, only those components that may be affected by the mod can be denied warranty. That being said, there is no way to work with Subaru and their warranty. Regardless of what it says, it's worthless. You have two choices if you get warranty denial - find a different dealership, or hire a lawyer. If, like me, every dealership in the area is just as horrible about trying to milk customers out of warranty work, then you're pretty much SOL. You may try to contact the better business bureau or your state's attorney general to file a complaint, but you're probably screwed because it was used to begin with. SOA will do nothing other than blackball you from all dealerships and all warranty work, so be careful about complaining to them. I can't even get a fuel leak that has a TSB issued for it covered on a completely stock car, ever since I complained to SOA.

My opinion is that if they deny warranty, don't let them do the work. I'd rather pay to have the pieces towed to an independent garage, than to give twice the amount of money to a dealership for the same repairs. Make them pay for the parts, then take it elsewhere. The only reason they pull this crap is to make money, so don't encourage them by giving it to them.

It is horrible that Subaru continues to treat their existing customers like vermin, but it is pretty common, and there is little or no recourse for consumers to force Subaru to change. I don't know if it applies, but you may want to look into lemon laws or return policies for your area. Buying a used car with serious issues that were not disclosed and not covered by the dealership may allow you to return the car for a refund, and allow you to take your business somewhere else. If you do buy used, always have the car checked out by a trusted mechanic before you buy.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by VVVV View Post
    It is horrible that Subaru continues to treat their existing customers like vermin, but it is pretty common,
    There's no excuse for them not fixing your fuel leak, but do you honestly believe that they should fix an axle problem on a 28K STI? To blame that on Subaru seems strange to me.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I do believe they should, considering the car was abused when they sold it. It may not be required, or even stated as such in the warranty, but selling a car with this serious of a problem, then not standing behind it is exactly the kind of thing that gives dealerships in general very bad reputations. Where do you draw the line? If a car is two halves of other cars welded together, and is completely unsafe for the road, would you then think the dealership should have some culpability for their sale?

If the market is going to be buyer beware, so be it, but then the false advertising claiming a warranty will backstop the purchase should be illegal. If they sell the car assuring the buyer that a warranty will cover problems, then that's what the warranty should do. "Abuse" as an excuse should only be allowed if the car shows up to the dealership without any oil in it, or something else just as blatant. But driveshafts breaking after 28k miles may be caused by driving hard, or it may just be parts that should have been rejected in the manufacturing process. The dealership can't prove otherwise, so to live up to their promises, they should honor warranty as the benefit of the doubt.

The profit of a warranty, or insurance, or any other contract signed to protect someone for unknown future problems should not be gamed by denying unprovable failures as "abuse". It's so subjective in 90% of the arguments raised that if most people could afford to go to court, it would likely be overturned. Of course nobody can afford that, so they continue to be able to make "abuse" claims left and right. The buyer believed in that warranty prior to the purchase to cover unexplained failures. Obviously, it doesn't. If it doesn't actually do what it says it does, it should be illegal to state it in the first place.

I'm all for us having a true free market economy where everything is sold "buyer beware" with no warranties at all. But the current system, where some kid comes here and brags how he shredded his tranny, but luckily it's covered under warranty, simply because he has a good dealership, and this OP can't get his lemon covered because the previous owner ripped on it is completely unfair. There needs to be an objective and universal definition of what constitutes abuse and it needs to be applied equally. If not, then it shouldn't be applied at all.

The dealership should have inspected the parts and replaced worn or cracked parts before they even sold the car. That dealership, instead, pocketed that saved money, and passed the cost directly to the customer.

Now the double whammy is now they are trying to charge for the service they should have performed long before the car was up for sale.

Thats Bad. But not uncommon
    Last edited by StupidMan; 01-05-2007 at 10:16 AM.
    stupidman has spoken

I Support ClubWRX
    There's no excuse for them not fixing your fuel leak, but do you honestly believe that they should fix an axle problem on a 28K STI? To blame that on Subaru seems strange to me.
    There is one thing we are overlooking here. If the poster purchased the STi used from a Subaru dealership, no doubt there was a sticker on the window saying "Existing Factory Warranty" or "Certified USED." In either case, the dealership as a liscensed franchise entity for SOA did there 100+ point inspection and certified the car was worthy for retail sale. In doing this they are obligated to honor said warranty on the used vehicle.

That being said when I was in the market for my WRX, I talked to my dealer extensively about a used STI. The dealership I spoke with said 3 out of 5 Sti's they purchase or take in used do not pass the SOA safety inspection and used car certification. They are then bounced out to auction.

Of course if the OP bouth the car from an independant dealer or private seller then the above is N/A. If that is the case then Caveat Emptor.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 01-05-2007 at 10:17 AM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

The more and more I read about warranty issues, the less I think it is SOA. It seems to me the dealerships skip out on needed work before the cars are sold and ultimately it causes issues that cannot be solved by SOA.

Some people have these magical dealerships that will wave a wand and fix any problem in an instant, and others get booty humped by money grubbing dealerships like my local one.
    stupidman has spoken

I Support ClubWRX
    If the OP bought the car from a Subaru dealership, then I can see the point being made. I assumed he bought it from a private party, then took it in to his local dealer expecting them to pony up the cash for an abuse repair.
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 01-05-2007 at 10:36 AM.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by StupidMan View Post
    The more and more I read about warranty issues, the less I think it is SOA. It seems to me the dealerships skip out on needed work before the cars are sold and ultimately it causes issues that cannot be solved by SOA.

Some people have these magical dealerships that will wave a wand and fix any problem in an instant, and others get booty humped by money grubbing dealerships like my local one.
    I both agree and disagree. I agree that some dealerships seem to be better in warranty aspects then others.

But I like to draw a parallel between the retail automotive industry and fast food.

Ok so lets take Mcdonalds for example. Mcdonalds locations can be privately owned liscensed franchises just like Subaru dealerships. But when the old lady spilled coffee in her lap and scarred her legs, who did she sue?

She sued Corporate and won.

Same is relavent here I believe. By allowing/liscensing the dealership to sell genuine Subaru products, SOA assumes liability along with the dealership. It is in turn SOA's responsibility to police its dealerships to ensure that they are handling warranty matters such as these properly.

In some cases that would require revoking the dealerships right to sell Subarus. That doesn't happen however because in the end SOA like every business is in search of the almighty $$$. In the long run for SOA it is cheaper just to let them run it how they want and deal with the Legal fall out than assume the Ethically correct practice.

Welcome to Capitalism.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

If the OP bought the car from a Subaru dealership, then I can see the point being made. I assumed he bought it from a private party. Can't really tell for sure from his post.
    Yeah, if he purchased from a private party HE should have taken the car for an inspection before purchasing, so in that case it would simply be a bad luck mistake and a lesson learned.
    stupidman has spoken

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast