subura warranty a joke - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on subura warranty a joke within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Should SOA pay for this? Well, 28,000mi and the rear axle is being replaced? That sounds like abuse. I have ...

Should SOA pay for this?
    Well, 28,000mi and the rear axle is being replaced? That sounds like abuse. I have 38,000mi in 2 years on my WRX and I have not had a single component replaced (knocks on wood).

Should the dealership pay for this?
    I believe that if you are going to sell a used car w/ a warranty then the dealership SHOULD inspect the car for damage and fix, or notify the buyer of the defects. Sell the car As Is if it is in bad condition.

Is the buyer responsible?
    Personally, if I ever bought a used car I would have a neutral 3rd party mechanic that knows Subaru's inspect the car before I purchased. So it is your fault for not seeing the issue as much as its the dealers fault for not telling you about the defect.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    But no matter who it was bought from, it's not Subaru's problem. If you bought it from the dealership, then it's kind a their issue. But of course, like all used cars I'm sure it was sold "as-is". Maybe they'll be nice and cover it? Two axles shouldn't cost all that much.......
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Downshift, that first statement is the exact thinking SOA defaults to. By law, it shouldn't matter what it "sounds like" to you or anyone else. There should have to be concrete proof of abuse, not just speculation. Not every car is built with 100% reliable parts. To assume that from the start is unrealistic. What if the parts had undetected cracks from the factory? It happens. But to immediately chalk it up to abuse with no proof is bad for all of us. I don't care what it sounds like, that is no excuse for denying warranty coverage, and definitely not a line of reasoning that would hold up in court.

Whether he bought it from an independent party or not, it makes no difference. The dealership can't prove abuse, by the OP or the original owner, so the car should be covered. It is the fault of the dealership for pushing illegal practices, and it is the fault of SOA for not defining what constitutes abuse along the lines of proveable failures.

I don't care if the car was abused or not. By definition of the law, either SOA and the dealership can prove it was abuse, or they can speculate it was. If it is speculation, then they must cover it under warranty. Breaking the law, even if they continually get away with it is still illegal. Denying warranty without concrete proof of abuse is illegal. They get away with it because they've been doing it so long they even have their own customers defending their illegal practices. That, and lawyers are worse bloodsuckers than even auto stealerships.

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VVVV View Post
    Downshift, that first statement is the exact thinking SOA defaults to. By law, it shouldn't matter what it "sounds like" to you or anyone else. There should have to be concrete proof of abuse, not just speculation. Not every car is built with 100% reliable parts. To assume that from the start is unrealistic. What if the parts had undetected cracks from the factory? It happens. But to immediately chalk it up to abuse with no proof is bad for all of us. I don't care what it sounds like, that is no excuse for denying warranty coverage, and definitely not a line of reasoning that would hold up in court.

Whether he bought it from an independent party or not, it makes no difference. The dealership can't prove abuse, by the OP or the original owner, so the car should be covered. It is the fault of the dealership for pushing illegal practices, and it is the fault of SOA for not defining what constitutes abuse along the lines of proveable failures.

I don't care if the car was abused or not. By definition of the law, either SOA and the dealership can prove it was abuse, or they can speculate it was. If it is speculation, then they must cover it under warranty. Breaking the law, even if they continually get away with it is still illegal. Denying warranty without concrete proof of abuse is illegal. They get away with it because they've been doing it so long they even have their own customers defending their illegal practices. That, and lawyers are worse bloodsuckers than even auto stealerships.
    +1.

If they can provide proof of abuse then deny warranty, otherwise it's not fair. Most likey the previous owner beat the hell out of it. But then again, you gotta give 'em the benefit of the doubt. I have very bad luck. I won't get into the details, but I could see this happening to my WRX (bought brand new) down the road and the stealership telling me it was abuse when in fact it wasn't.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by VVVV View Post
    Downshift, that first statement is the exact thinking SOA defaults to. By law, it shouldn't matter what it "sounds like" to you or anyone else. There should have to be concrete proof of abuse, not just speculation.
    How does one establish "concrete" proof of abuse? Sounds to me like it's going to be a judgment call at some point, no matter what.
    The only one's suffering "abuse" will be SOA if suddenly they found themselves having to replace every streetracer's broken axles.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    How does one establish "concrete" proof of abuse? Sounds to me like it's going to be a judgment call at some point, no matter what.
    The only one's suffering "abuse" will be SOA if suddenly they found themselves having to replace every streetracer's broken axles.
    I completely see what you're saying and that's basically how it is in reality. However, I know most dealerships in my area (not just Subaru) abuse their power, even on stock cars, when they make that "judgement call."
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

ok..i read some of the posts...

+1 for Ray. (nice avatar by the way)

I did not see anywhere where the vehicle was purchased from. If it was bought from the dealership that he also had service it, they should have noticed that noise (if it was there) when they safety checked it. If he had it for a month and had no noise up to that point, how would the dealer have known that since it wouldnt have been doing that before?

if he bought it from a non subaru dealer or private party, even though he does not know the history of the prev owner, part of buying a used car is you also buy any problems that come with that car...which would include the issue he spoke of.

the dealer did great buy helping him out on that point with the labor. they did not have to do that-- that is just good customer service / retention. now if he went in there and made a huge stink about it...they probably would have not offered the labor part and told him he had to pay it. credibility and attitude do so much in those situations...people dont realize that if they get nasty, it just ticks off the service dept, degrades them, and makes them not want to work on your vehicle again.
    Last edited by GraysonSubaru; 01-05-2007 at 02:13 PM.
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru View Post
    ok..i read some of the posts...

+1 for Ray. (nice avatar by the way)

I did not see anywhere where the vehicle was purchased from. If it was bought from the dealership that he also had service it, they should have noticed that noise (if it was there) when they safety checked it. If he had it for a month and had no noise up to that point, how would the dealer have known that since it wouldnt have been doing that before?

if he bought it from a non subaru dealer or private party, even though he does not know the history of the prev owner, part of buying a used car is you also buy any problems that come with that car...which would include the issue he spoke of.

the dealer did great buy helping him out on that point with the labor. they did not have to do that-- that is just good customer service / retention. now if he went in there and made a huge stink about it...they probably would have not offered the labor part and told him he had to pay it. credibility and attitude do so much in those situations...people dont realize that if they get nasty, it just ticks off the service dept, degrades them, and makes them not want to work on your vehicle again.
    +1
    Last edited by blackfang; 01-05-2007 at 05:31 PM.
    http://svt4u2try.com | Myspace | Photos
    97 Cobra, 98 Z/28 hardtop

I did not buy the car from the subaru dealership. Which was a question from the rep I believe. But I dont see how that matters with warranty issues. I didnt have the car checked by any mechanic which is my own stupid fault. I did drive the car several times and everything seemed good. This was something that started about a week after I got it, and I dont believe that I could have done anything to it to cause the problem so I assume it was already there. I am glad that the dealership really helpled me out by coaching the rep into agreeing to pay. That was just pure luck on my part. It just really suprised me the general attitude I got about the warranty or lack there of. Basically any repair needed to the car under warranty that can be related to abuse wont slide with them. I really hope I have no other issues. Im quite worried about the car now.

Quote Originally Posted by urabus its View Post
    I did not buy the car from the subaru dealership. Which was a question from the rep I believe. But I dont see how that matters with warranty issues. I didnt have the car checked by any mechanic which is my own stupid fault. I did drive the car several times and everything seemed good. This was something that started about a week after I got it, and I dont believe that I could have done anything to it to cause the problem so I assume it was already there. I am glad that the dealership really helpled me out by coaching the rep into agreeing to pay. That was just pure luck on my part. It just really suprised me the general attitude I got about the warranty or lack there of. Basically any repair needed to the car under warranty that can be related to abuse wont slide with them. I really hope I have no other issues. Im quite worried about the car now.
    Then you need to stop *****ing.
    1. You didnt buy it from that dealership. That does play a role when it comes to warranty work.
    2. You bought it used and didnt have a Technician check it out for abuse prior to purchasing it
    3. The warranty doesnt have to cover it if there are signs of abuse. There is no history and the damage to their eyes shows abuse could have accurred
    4. EVERY manufacturer that see's abuse on their vehicles wont warranty that claim.
    5. They fixed it for free, when they didnt have to. You got off scott free and they ate it. Really you should stop complaining about Warranty.
    http://svt4u2try.com | Myspace | Photos
    97 Cobra, 98 Z/28 hardtop

You're better off wiping your ass with the warranty, that way you can at least get some value out of it.

Banned
    I think it really comes down to the dealership. Mine has never given anyone I know problems about warranty work even when there was mods on the car. They can tell how a car has been driven easily by looking at certain parts. Besides who needs warranty when you can do your own work???? I wouldn't even feel comfy with another subie mechanic looking at it cause I like knowing what work was done and how it was done so I do it myself. I know not everyone has that luxury but if you really are mad about it go to school and learn about auto tech. Problem solved.

Unfortunately it's not always the dealerships call, much of the time it comes down to the district rep. Should a dealership do work that's not covered they may not get repaid by soa.

so how exactly to you break your rear axles

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.