Buyin a modded 02 rex - need some pointers
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Buyin a modded 02 rex - need some pointers within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I'm driving up to Long Island NY next weekend to buy an '02 with 49,000. But it's one ...

Buyin a modded 02 rex - need some pointers

Hey guys,

I'm driving up to Long Island NY next weekend to buy an '02 with 49,000. But it's one of those double-edged swords. The mods on the car are exactly what I'm lookin for. But obviously the more you upgrade a car- the more trouble you can get into. So I'm not sure what sort of reliability or maintenance issues I should be aware of, given these particular mods.

So, here's the list, if you guys could take a look and let me know what you think, I would really, really appreciate it... here we go:

Engine:
    VF39 Turbo
    STI 550cc Injectors
    STI catless Up-Pipe
    3inch Invidia downpipe with 3inch BORLA Hush Catback exhaust
    K&N air filter
    PERRIN Silicone Turbo inlet
    EVANS waterless coolant
    Mobil 1 every 3k miles
    Grounding mod

Transmission:
    Amsoil Synthetic Fluid
    New EXEDY Stage 1 Organic clutch

Suspension:
    PERRIN Tuner Springs 1.8 inch drop
    KYB AGX adjustable struts
    COBB TUNING Swaybars front and rear with
    PERRIN Endlinks
    RACING BRAKE slotted rotors frt and rear with Stainless Steel lines
    CARBOTECH Red street brake pads
    MOTUL brake fluid

Normally I avoid buying modded cars - but these mods seem like they were done right, from the right brands etc. Almost all of these upgrades are things I've found supported on this board and others... so I'm very hopeful.

I get the feeling this guy has done the job right. He also says the car has never been raced, clutched dumped or dynoed. Which is a good sign.

Anyway - any thoughts guys?

Thanks in advance!

-Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What is he using for tuning?

Bear this in mind, if he was trading that car in - the most he would be LUCKY to get is the NADA//KBB trade-in. Many dealers would cut the dollar amount down because of the mods, a dealer will need to return the car to stock condition to sell it as stock, a modified car can be very hard to move off the lot.

How much is the asking price for the car?
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    What is he using for tuning?
    Good question - I forgot to put that in. It's a Stage IV car running a COBB TUNING Accessport ECU with a PDX custom Map.

That help?

Bear this in mind, if he was trading that car in - the most he would be LUCKY to get is the NADA//KBB trade-in. Many dealers would cut the dollar amount down because of the mods, a dealer will need to return the car to stock condition to sell it as stock, a modified car can be very hard to move off the lot.

How much is the asking price for the car?
    Good point. I actually won an auction for it on Ebay - got it for $14,250.

all-wheel-drive is all we'll drive

It looks clean - sounds like a good deal for the price you paid. Is this your first AWD - if so, you need to learn to revmatch. Work on driving smoothly. Make power when you are in gear - not in between. If you have passengers in the car, you should be able to drive without their heads tilting forward and back. First learn how to make the car feel as smooth as an automatic, then work on speed and try to keep it refined.

Then again, once in a while - you'll feel the need to beat the hell out of it just like the rest of us do.

Check my modlist - your car is very similar to mine in many ways. It should be fun. Oh, and for what it's worth, I get slightly over 23mpg (23.4-23.8) in mixed driving with a 33 mile drive to work consisting of 25 miles of highway (NJ PKWY at 70-90mph avg) and the rest in stop and go traffic.
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."

It looks clean - sounds like a good deal for the price you paid. Is this your first AWD.
    Yeah man - I'm an AWD virgin and I've been lookin forward to gettin an AWD turbo car for as long as I can remember caring about cars at all. ; )

I have a 91 Mr2 now - with the JDM imported engine, so I'm not new to performance driving, but I can't wait to see how different the rex is from the '2.

Thanks for the heads-up on the mileage. Are you fairly happy with it?

Anyway - thanks for the fast response in general. This board seems really friendly and helpful.

: )

Quote Originally Posted by Bleeckerx View Post
    Yeah man - I'm an AWD virgin and I've been lookin forward to gettin an AWD turbo car for as long as I can remember caring about cars at all. ; )

I have a 91 Mr2 now - with the JDM imported engine, so I'm not new to performance driving, but I can't wait to see how different the rex is from the '2.

Thanks for the heads-up on the mileage. Are you fairly happy with it?

Anyway - thanks for the fast response in general. This board seems really friendly and helpful.

: )
    I love my WRX. My other car is a 2005 350Z. This year I put 30k on the WRX and 9k on the Z. That alone tells you how much I love driving my WRX. I'm extremely happy with my WRX, but I could see myself picking up a Legacy GT/STI a few years down the road - the WRX is a bit small on the inside. I like it, but when I've got more than 2 people in the car, legroom in the back comes at the price of legroom in the front.

I think clubwrx is a great forum, but most of the people on here have accounts on iwsti(?) and nastysock(nasioc) as well. This is the fun forum - people here are generally helpful, and there are not so many drama filled threads that the forum mods need to keep it locked down like a communist regime. Nasioc still has the wealth of information however.

Yeah your mod list is nuts Micah...

I may be PMing you sometime in the future for some thoughts- looks like we'll have some items in common

Thanks again for all of the info!

the exhaust pictured is not a Borla Hush (the one pictured is a canister and Borla Hush is more of a conventional muffler shape with a dual tip maybe a single also)
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

Quote Originally Posted by bkotzman00 View Post
    the exhaust pictured is not a Borla Hush (the one pictured is a canister and Borla Hush is more of a conventional muffler shape with a dual tip maybe a single also)
    True that - man you guys don't miss a thing ; )

That pic of the body is older I think - here is a shot of the exhaust that's newer..

Oh, but I forgot to ask you guys- how "daily" is a rex w/ these mods? Any problems day to day - anything I should keep an eye on?

Are any of these mods prone to certain problems?

And are there any things I should check for when I buy the car? Any known problematic areas?

Thanks again guys!
    Last edited by Bleeckerx; 12-31-2006 at 07:54 PM.

it looks and sounds like it was reasonably done, and maintained

Should be good. Just pay attention to it while you drive, you'll notice if something is off and more importantly you'll enjoy driving more.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeckerx View Post
    Oh, but I forgot to ask you guys- how "daily" is a rex w/ these mods? Any problems day to day - anything I should keep an eye on?
    I drove a VF34'd '02 WRX for quite a while on a daily basis with no issues. Your drop would be a bit much for me to deal with; I'd probably be scraping my driveway.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

a VF39 should be a good daily driver

a major thing to look for is do a test drive and see how the trans feels I didn't see anything about aftermarket trans upgrades and one of the first things I would think that would go on that car would be the trans
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Your drop would be a bit much for me to deal with; I'd probably be scraping my driveway.
    Yep, I was thinkin I may need to raise it back up a touch. Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by bkotzman00 View Post
    I didn't see anything about aftermarket trans upgrades and one of the first things I would think that would go on that car would be the trans
    That's the one thing I'm most concerned about. I've been reading the horror stories on the Transmission Warranty Woes sticky... sounds like a LOT of people had problems w/ syncros going bad...

How worried should I be?

I do know that a lot of grinding problems were reportedly fixed using the ol Scotty's Cocktail. (1qt Redline lightweight shockproof. 1qt Pennzoil Synchromesh and 2qt Castrol HypoyC 80w-90, right?)
    Last edited by Bleeckerx; 01-01-2007 at 10:55 AM.

I am pretty sure mine sits lower than that - and I haven't had much problems with scraping. I scrape on the way in and out of my jobs parking lot just a little. No damage.

As far as the tranny, mine is fine. I've also got a bigger turbo (vf34 > vf39), and am still on the stock clutch. If you drive it well and take care not to beat on it, the tranny should be ok.

I am pretty sure mine sits lower than that - and I haven't had much problems with scraping. I scrape on the way in and out of my jobs parking lot just a little. No damage.

As far as the tranny, mine is fine. I've also got a bigger turbo (vf34 > vf39), and am still on the stock clutch. If you drive it well and take care not to beat on it, the tranny should be ok.
    Ah, good good. I'm glad to hear both of those things.

I'll keep the cocktail as plan-B.

Plan-A would be not driving like moron.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.