Weird noise, sounds like a leak...give it a listen.

This is a discussion on Weird noise, sounds like a leak...give it a listen. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I noticed this about a week ago, it happens on cold starts, it happens when it is both cold and ...

Weird noise, sounds like a leak...give it a listen.

I noticed this about a week ago, it happens on cold starts, it happens when it is both cold and warm outside, but it doesn't always happen...it goes away when the engine is warm, but it doesn't sound like "normal" suby noise.

Just to be clear on what you are listening for...it's the psst psst psst psst psst psst. It is on the driver side of the engine, and loudest around the AC compressor. My turbo is hitting peak boost, and there is no fluctuation in the vacuum pressure. It does not change when I turn the AC on and off. It does change with engine revs.

any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ODJ
    That was a fun little video. Yes, your car does seem to be making a "huffing" noise. I don't know if the audio is clipping, but it sounds to me like something is rubbing. Have you checked all of your belts (esp. on the AC compressor)?
    UNSPOILT BY PROGRESS

didn't watch the entire video but it sounds like a bad belt.

It doesn't sound like any loose belt that I have ever heard, but you are right, I should check them.

At this point I have this post running on three different message boards, I'll get to the bottom of it one way or another.

I Support ClubWRX
    I would think belt and / or pulley.

Moving to Maintenance, service, troubleshooting, and basic repair ...
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics