Need HELP ASAP. 02 sensor related
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Need HELP ASAP. 02 sensor related within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok i have an '02 wrx auto. The car recently threw a CEL and ran horrible. By that i mean ...

Need HELP ASAP. 02 sensor related

Ok i have an '02 wrx auto. The car recently threw a CEL and ran horrible. By that i mean it lacked power, idled low (it would dip below 600 rpm and the car would act like it was about to die) oh and it also sounded like a go-kart (like the car went into some kind of limp mode). When diagnosed at local auto shop it read the following codes:
    -02 sensor malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2)
    -rich condition
    -lean condition
    -egr/emmisions malfunction
    I assume the last 3 codes resulted from the 02 sensor malfunction. Well the guy at the auto part store told me that bank 1 sensor 2 was pre-cat, plumbed into the exhaust manifold. I bought the 02 sensor and threw it on 2 days ago. However, the car still runs horrible and once again threw a CEL about 80 miles later. Today i diagnosed the codes and they read:
    -02 sensor malfunction (bank1 sensor 2)
    -rich condition
    I called the local subaru dealership and talked to the parts department. I was informed that bank 1 sensor 2 is actually the midpipe mounted (but still pre-cat) 02 sensor. So the auto part store guy sold me the wrong part, but why did i bother listening to him anyway Well now here is where i am confused. I also have a '95 misubishi eclipse gsx that has a 3" dp w/ no rear 02 sensor (or cat for about 2 years now) and that car runs fine, why would the wrx run so ****ty? could a bad rear midpipe mounted 02 sensor (bank 1 sensor 2) really cause very noticeable lack of power, ****ty idle, and an unexplainable go-kart like growl? I have been searching this site for the last couple days and from what i understand the rear o2 sensor measures catalytic converter efficiency while the front 02 sensor deals with A/F. If that is the case could the rear 02 sensor cause all this headache?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That is why I tell people to not go off the Advanced Auto or Autozone guys. They scan it for free, but they dont ever go beyond that and find the real problem. The scanner is only a tool to find the starting point in a diagnosis.

I would bet something else is contributing to the car running bad besides the Oxygen sensor.
    http://svt4u2try.com | Myspace | Photos
    97 Cobra, 98 Z/28 hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by turorex325 View Post
    Ok i have an '02 wrx auto. The car recently threw a CEL and ran horrible. By that i mean it lacked power, idled low (it would dip below 600 rpm and the car would act like it was about to die) oh and it also sounded like a go-kart (like the car went into some kind of limp mode). When diagnosed at local auto shop it read the following codes:
    -02 sensor malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2)
    -rich condition
    -lean condition
    -egr/emmisions malfunction
    I assume the last 3 codes resulted from the 02 sensor malfunction. Well the guy at the auto part store told me that bank 1 sensor 2 was pre-cat, plumbed into the exhaust manifold. I bought the 02 sensor and threw it on 2 days ago. However, the car still runs horrible and once again threw a CEL about 80 miles later. Today i diagnosed the codes and they read:
    -02 sensor malfunction (bank1 sensor 2)
    -rich condition
    I called the local subaru dealership and talked to the parts department. I was informed that bank 1 sensor 2 is actually the midpipe mounted (but still pre-cat) 02 sensor. So the auto part store guy sold me the wrong part, but why did i bother listening to him anyway Well now here is where i am confused. I also have a '95 misubishi eclipse gsx that has a 3" dp w/ no rear 02 sensor (or cat for about 2 years now) and that car runs fine, why would the wrx run so ****ty? could a bad rear midpipe mounted 02 sensor (bank 1 sensor 2) really cause very noticeable lack of power, ****ty idle, and an unexplainable go-kart like growl? I have been searching this site for the last couple days and from what i understand the rear o2 sensor measures catalytic converter efficiency while the front 02 sensor deals with A/F. If that is the case could the rear 02 sensor cause all this headache?
    First off your 95 mitsu is OBDI. That's why it's does'nt have an o2 sensor in the rear, Also DSM's are very foregiving cars, espically OBDI DSM's. Our WRX's are a very sensitive sophicated peice of machinery. The DSM is a big clunky meat head of a car. What mods on your car?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.