Newbie Questions
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Newbie Questions within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just got a 2003 WRX and as soon as I drove it off the dealer's lot the engine light ...

Question Newbie Questions

I just got a 2003 WRX and as soon as I drove it off the dealer's lot the engine light came on Then, as I got home it grinded going into first gear.

I figure I need at least a new clutch but what should I expect in terms of price when I take it to a dealer? How much for a new clutch? Transmission?

Love the car but I'm wondering how much this is going to cost. Anybody know a good Subaru shop in San Diego?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

its called the dealer should cover it if not hit them with a lemon law

Quote Originally Posted by C89ZX7R View Post
    its called the dealer should cover it if not hit them with a lemon law

You need to know what the lemon law is, clearly by that post you dont know.

To the thread starter, being that you bought the car, take it back. They out of good faith will have it checked out and either they should/would cover it or the warranty they offered will unless it only covers certain items(i.e the type of sale it was that offers an as is, or 30 days/3,000 miles, etc).

A clutch usually runs around 1100 just so you know and it will vary among state and the labor rate
    http://svt4u2try.com | Myspace | Photos
    97 Cobra, 98 Z/28 hardtop

1) Bring it badk to the dealer. Technically they do not need to fix it, but I would raise hell about it and call them out on neglect. Do not back down.

2) Grinding 1st gear is probably from a slipping clutch which will run you over a grand if replaced at a dealer. If you can, and if the dealer will not fix it for you, find a friend to help you out that knows about cars. Buy the clutch and give him like $150 to help on the install. It will take some time, but will save you probably about $500 in the long run.

3) I doubt your tranny is bad, but if it you are screwed. We are talking a few grand here with parts and labor. RA gear set might be a better bet.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfang View Post

You need to know what the lemon law is, clearly by that post you dont know.

To the thread starter, being that you bought the car, take it back. They out of good faith will have it checked out and either they should/would cover it or the warranty they offered will unless it only covers certain items(i.e the type of sale it was that offers an as is, or 30 days/3,000 miles, etc).

A clutch usually runs around 1100 just so you know and it will vary among state and the labor rate
    i'm tired as h3ll right now so i must be missing something
    A. If the manufacturer, its agents or authorized dealers do not conform the motor vehicle to any applicable warranty by repairing or correcting any defect or condition, including those that do not affect the drivability of the vehicle, which significantly impairs the use, market value, or safety of the motor vehicle to the consumer after a reasonable number of attempts during the lemon law rights period, the manufacturer shall:
    1. Replace the motor vehicle with a comparable motor vehicle acceptable to the consumer, or
    2. Accept return of the motor vehicle and refund to the consumer, lessor, and any lien holder as their interest may appear the full contract price, including all collateral charges, incidental damages, less a reasonable allowance for the consumer's use of the vehicle up to the date of the first notice of nonconformity that is given to the manufacturer, its agents or authorized dealer. Refunds or replacements shall be made to the consumer, lessor or lien holder, if any, as their interests may appear. The consumer shall have the unconditional right to choose a refund rather than a replacement vehicle and to drive the motor vehicle until he receives either the replacement vehicle or the refund. The subtraction of a reasonable allowance for use shall apply to either a replacement or refund of the motor vehicle. Mileage, expenses, and reasonable loss of use necessitated by attempts to conform such motor vehicle to the express warranty may be recovered by the consumer.

The Lemon Law here in Va is definately not that.

The Lemon Law pretty much is when there is a complaint from the customer and the dealership has attempted to fix that complaint more than twice and still hasnt fixed the issue, then that car can fall under the Lemon Law.

Just because someone sold a customer a vehicle and it has problems doesnt mean its under the lemon law. zYou are correct on reasonable attempts. Some cars, not saying his are sold as an "AS IS" warranty. However out of good faith they should look at it for free or the complaint be covered under his warranty. However in this situation you are wrong in using the term Lemon Law.

I have yet to work for a dealership where they tell the customer sorry there is nothing we can do UNLESS it was sold with an "AS IS" warranty.

Thanks for the info guys. I was driving it back to the dealer about an hour ago and the engine cut out on the freeway. No power steering at 70MPH isn't fun when you're surrounded by cars and turning Felt like Talladega.

Got it running, got it to the lot and they're going to do a fuel injection cleaning. A similar thing happened to a friend, the car sits on the lot and all the crap in the fuel tank coagulates and clogs the fuel injectors when you fill it up and jar the fruity pebbles of gas loose. Am I just dreaming or is that a real possibility?
    Last edited by mckirkus; 12-29-2006 at 11:17 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Moving to Maintenance, service, troubleshooting, and basic repair

Keep us posted.

Be sure to fomally intoduce yourself in New Member Hangout
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by blackfang View Post
    The Lemon Law here in Va is definately not that.

The Lemon Law pretty much is when there is a complaint from the customer and the dealership has attempted to fix that complaint more than twice and still hasnt fixed the issue, then that car can fall under the Lemon Law.

Just because someone sold a customer a vehicle and it has problems doesnt mean its under the lemon law. zYou are correct on reasonable attempts. Some cars, not saying his are sold as an "AS IS" warranty. However out of good faith they should look at it for free or the complaint be covered under his warranty. However in this situation you are wrong in using the term Lemon Law.

I have yet to work for a dealership where they tell the customer sorry there is nothing we can do UNLESS it was sold with an "AS IS" warranty.
    guess you don't know much about it since that was copied from the Virginia Lemon Law

Quote Originally Posted by C89ZX7R View Post
    guess you don't know much about it since that was copied from the Virginia Lemon Law
    I know about it. However unlike you, I know what it applies to and the content. What you copied is part of the Lemon Law, but doesnt apply to your original post. Here is why.

i'm tired as h3ll right now so i must be missing something
    A. If the manufacturer, its agents or authorized dealers do not conform the motor vehicle to any applicable warranty by repairing or correcting any defect or condition, including those that do not affect the drivability of the vehicle, which significantly impairs the use, market value, or safety of the motor vehicle to the consumer after a reasonable number of attempts during the lemon law rights period, the manufacturer shall:
    That means they have attempted to fix a problem under warranty after a few attempts. This doesnt say they have to fix the car for free for a customer because he just bought it. It states that after they have attempted to make repairs they must do the below.

1. Replace the motor vehicle with a comparable motor vehicle acceptable to the consumer, or
    2. Accept return of the motor vehicle and refund to the consumer, lessor, and any lien holder as their interest may appear the full contract price, including all collateral charges, incidental damages, less a reasonable allowance for the consumer's use of the vehicle up to the date of the first notice of nonconformity that is given to the manufacturer, its agents or authorized dealer. Refunds or replacements shall be made to the consumer, lessor or lien holder, if any, as their interests may appear. The consumer shall have the unconditional right to choose a refund rather than a replacement vehicle and to drive the motor vehicle until he receives either the replacement vehicle or the refund. The subtraction of a reasonable allowance for use shall apply to either a replacement or refund of the motor vehicle. Mileage, expenses, and reasonable loss of use necessitated by attempts to conform such motor vehicle to the express warranty may be recovered by the consumer.
    That is what they have to do if the vehicle if it is found that it will be fought under arbitration. Several attempts have been made to repair a vehicle's problem under warranty unsuccessfully.That doesnt say a thing about a dealer having to fix a car for a customer for free. If you buy a car and it has issues and the dealership doesnt want to fix it for free, that is not a lemon Law issue. That is a customer service issue.

I still think you need to understand what the lemon law is, and what it applies to.
    Last edited by blackfang; 12-29-2006 at 03:56 PM.

Just a quick update. They said there was a vacuum leak that they're fixing and it needs a new 02 sensor. I'm still waiting to see if they bill me.

If they try to screw me over I have a plan outlined here...
    http://unbeknownst.net/?p=195

I would also contact your salesman, who will also make sure it is free

When I get customers that come in with issues right after buying a car, I send them to their salesman first before I write them up. The Sales dept can write up slips known as "We Owe" or "Due Slips" to get work done on the car thats free for the customer but is billed to the sales dept.

They fixed it for free. Was bad MAF and 02 sensors. Runs great now and luckily the Lemon law is not applicable.

Thanks for the info. I love this car.

Great to hear. Enjoy the car

Grinding

The grinding when down shifting into first even at low speeds is some what normal and can be helped by changing the fluid in your tranny to either redling light weight shockproof(what I run) or one of the many other cocktails that people swear by. I dont even want to try to get into whats the best one thats for you to decide by using the serch button.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.