E-brake is connected to...?

This is a discussion on E-brake is connected to...? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi. How does the e-brake on a WRX work? Is it connected to the rear caliper or something in the ...

E-brake is connected to...?

Hi. How does the e-brake on a WRX work? Is it connected to the rear caliper or something in the tranny? Because every time I pull on the e-brake the car rolls a bit before coming to a stop much like an automatic car would do.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Of course the car isn't going to stop instantaneously...that would violate physics as we know it. The e-brake is in the rear and has nothing to do with the transmission.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

There is actually a small mechanically operated drum brake setup inside the rear rotors. The brake shoes inside do "float" on springs and have a bit of play.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    Moving to Maintenance, service, troubleshooting, and basic repair ...
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    Of course the car isn't going to stop instantaneously...that would violate physics as we know it. The e-brake is in the rear and has nothing to do with the transmission.
    In my Honda, when I pulled the e-brake and then lifted the brake, the car stayed put. With the wrx, I lift my foot and the car rolls a few inches. I suppose the play in the springs might allow the car to roll, but not the amount mine rolls.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
    In my Honda, when I pulled the e-brake and then lifted the brake, the car stayed put.
    Ah, now we get to the heart of the problem.
    Your Subie is not a Honda.

--Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
    With the wrx, I lift my foot and the car rolls a few inches. I suppose the play in the springs might allow the car to roll, but not the amount mine rolls.
    If you are at a complete stop when engaging the parking brake, the vehicle should not roll at all..

Your parking brake may need adjustment, or your parking brake shoes may be worn down and not getting good surface contact w/ the inside of the "drum".

The parking brake in my WRX is very strong... God forbid I forget to disengage it, cuz then I'm not going anywhere...
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

Quote Originally Posted by devilfluff View Post
    If you are at a complete stop when engaging the parking brake, the vehicle should not roll at all..

Your parking brake may need adjustment, or your parking brake shoes may be worn down and not getting good surface contact w/ the inside of the "drum".

The parking brake in my WRX is very strong... God forbid I forget to disengage it, cuz then I'm not going anywhere...
    I think you might be right. I was on a hill and pulled the ebrake. The car started rolling. I had to put it in gear so it wouldn't roll. What is the procedure for adjusting the parking brake?