engine burning

This is a discussion on engine burning within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i was driving arond one day an when i got out i could smell somthing burning in the engine, it ...

engine burning

i was driving arond one day an when i got out i could smell somthing burning in the engine, it smelt really bad and i though it might of been my tranny but after driving around carefully it it still smelt like sumthing was burning so i checked the alternater but that turned out fine then sumbody told me it might be the turbo but im not sure...does anyone know what could be causing this burning sensation, is the engine jus over heating or is something bad about to happen?? thanx

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

was you driving really fast and redlining your car at all?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dausWRX View Post
    i was driving arond one day an when i got out i could smell somthing burning in the engine, it smelt really bad and i though it might of been my tranny but after driving around carefully it it still smelt like sumthing was burning so i checked the alternater but that turned out fine then sumbody told me it might be the turbo but im not sure...does anyone know what could be causing this burning sensation, is the engine jus over heating or is something bad about to happen?? thanx
    We need a little more information. Was there any smoke? If so, where did it come from? What did the burning smell like? Oil? Antifreeze? Clutch? Electrical? Brakes? Plastic?

it smelt like the clutch but after letting it idle for a couple of minutes it still smelt like it was burning and i did redline once last night but that was all but i wasnt going that fast

your car burns oil when you drive it fast and hard did it smell like that.

I Support ClubWRX
    it smelt like the clutch but after letting it idle for a couple of minutes it still smelt like it was burning and i did redline once last night but that was all but i wasnt going that fast
    Is the clutch slipping? Go to a highway, put the car in 5th and do about 65. Give it full throttle, and see if the rpms climb without the car accelerating at the same rate.

i was thinking it might be oil but im not sure and i did the highway thing and it catches like normal should i take my car in or should i give it a couple of days an see what happens?

I Support ClubWRX
    i was thinking it might be oil but im not sure and i did the highway thing and it catches like normal should i take my car in or should i give it a couple of days an see what happens?
    If it is oil burning oil under the hood, try to pinpoint the leak.