Speedometer not working

This is a discussion on Speedometer not working within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My speedometer is not working all of a sudden and check engine light comes on. AP is not picking up ...

Speedometer not working

My speedometer is not working all of a sudden and check engine light comes on. AP is not picking up any code for it either. I can reset the ecu, but it comes back on after a while. Checked every single fuse under the hood and behind coin tray. Any idea what's wrong with my car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Possibly a faulty speed sensor.

you have to turn the key all the way with the clutch down ^^

but seriously..

you sure you didn't stall?

jk again, faulty speed sensor =p
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX CarPC Install

MP3 - VIDEO - DVD - FM Radio - XM Radio - WiFI - Bluetooth - GPS - NES, SNES, SEGA, PS1, GBA Emulators & Games

"When you go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, you don't need a made up character called fast. Thats what makes a Subaru, a Subaru."

I have to wait until next Tuesday for dealer service.
    I could not even go past 4500 rpm and lost to a civic this morning.

Is it still okay to drive since it most likely a faulty speedy sensor?
    05 WRX Stg 2
    Helix catted DP
    Greddy Evo 2

The code is P0502: Speed sensor low input.
    I took the car to a dealer and they said the speed sensor is fine. They are blaming ECM reflash. The ECM is not able to read from the sensor while it's throwing code for that. It may be a speedometer gear inside the transmission. I'll take it to another dealer and see if they can fix it under warranty.

I still have CEL, Limp mode and constantly running radiator fan.
    According to the Subaru manual, those symptoms are Fail Safe feature associated with P0502
    05 WRX Stg 2
    Helix catted DP
    Greddy Evo 2

The dealer though it was the speed sensor and ordered the part under warranty. I waited almost 2 weeks for the part and now they are saying it's not the speed sensor. The problem is speedometer gear inside the transmission and won't be covered under warranty. They knew that I have TBE when they warrantied the speed sensor, but would not warranty the speedometer gear. I'm arguing with SOA, hopefully they take my side.
    05 WRX Stg 2
    Helix catted DP
    Greddy Evo 2

Well, at least you have a pretty good excuse for the cops if get pulled over. If I were you, I would take advantage of this and ignore all speed limits, especially school zones.
    ~Selah

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rexmaster View Post
    The dealer though it was the speed sensor and ordered the part under warranty. I waited almost 2 weeks for the part and now they are saying it's not the speed sensor. The problem is speedometer gear inside the transmission and won't be covered under warranty. They knew that I have TBE when they warrantied the speed sensor, but would not warranty the speedometer gear. I'm arguing with SOA, hopefully they take my side.
    I was close. The speed sensor is driven by the gear.

They should honor the speedo gear. I can't see a possible way to abuse it.

Does anyone have a copy of service invoice stating speedometer gear fixed under warranty? The service manager was refering to the warranty bulletin 01-156-03.
    05 WRX Stg 2
    Helix catted DP
    Greddy Evo 2

I have done one under warranty for a Forester with 10k and some change. How many miles are on your car and what year?

You better hope it gets covered because it wont be cheap by any means.
    http://svt4u2try.com | Myspace | Photos
    97 Cobra, 98 Z/28 hardtop

My car has 22k miles. Dealer called again and they were told by SOA to continue to work on my car. It will be covered under warranty for now.
    05 WRX Stg 2
    Helix catted DP
    Greddy Evo 2