Dash Lights/Indicators For 02 WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Dash Lights/Indicators For 02 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; HeyI just got my 02 wrx a few days ago and didn't register it until today and now since i ...

Exclamation Dash Lights/Indicators For 02 WRX

HeyI just got my 02 wrx a few days ago and didn't register it until today and now since i have been driving it for about 50-70 miles the orange CHECK ENGINE light came on. I drove a little more with it because I was not near home and didn't want to leave the car somewhere sketchy. I was just wondering though if anyone could tell me how to figure out what that ligts means, if something huge like the engine is going to be out of oil and blow up tommrow if i start it, or if i should ake it to a dealership and have them look at it. If anyone could provide a list of what it could possibly mean and how to fix it or something out of the maunal becasue i never recived mine when i purchased the car.

Help out a newb so his car doisn;t blow up

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

call your nearest dealer before you go drivin around, the oil you can check yourself. but mainly if you call the dealer they can tell you what to do. dont sweat it untill you know what it is. but hold off on drivin it around till after you talk to someone.

I Support ClubWRX
    Things like oil, coolant, etc, are things that you should have checked before purchasing a used car. As far as the CEL (Check Engine Light) goes, I'd check over the basics and limp the car to a dealer. No one here is going to be able to give you much help without knowing the code that the ECU is throwing.

My old MR2 could be set up to flash the code at you with the light in the dash. A capability like that would be handy to have on the WRX at times like this.

Moving to Maint. Serv., and Troubleshooting...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

So i called the dealer this moring before i did anything at 8:30 and talked toa guy from the service department and he said that it is probobly something to do with the cars computer re-learning something and the gas cap. He told me to drive it like i would always do for 15-20 more times (meaning start the engine and drive) and if the light dosn't go off to call them back.

Is this a normal response from someone who works on a subaru? To me if something is wrong 15-20 times driving with it on seems like a bad idea. Any more input please

Yes I got that same response from a dealer too and it turned out I didn't tighten the gas cap enough and it didn't go away. If I were you I would drive it to like a Shuck's(don't know what they are called where you live) and they have a scan tool that you can used for free to check it
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

Pretty much any auto parts shop should have a code reader. If there's one nearby you should head there (slowly of course) and have them read the code. Then tell people here what the code is and/or contact your dealer.

A CEL means there is something up w/ your cats or you had a misfire in a cylinder. You car is not going to blow up.

The dealer ALWAYS defaults to the gas cap CEL. Check your cap, is it tight? OK, go to autzone or any autoparts store. Ask to use their OBD-II reader (ask them to help you since i feel like you might need it). Then plug it in under the steering wheel. From there it will read the code. Write down the code "P----" and then come back here and look up the code (search here, or google). Depending on the code you may need to take it in to get fixed at the dealer.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

ALright well i woke up this morning and the CEL was gone. it was gone all day until i was heading home from work on the highway and all of a sudden the CEL came back on again. I tried limping it around and starting it up and shutting it off to reset/default the computer and after about 10 tries i just gave up an parked it infront of the house. I think asap i am going to head to an auto parts store and try out their code reader, then bring what it says back here.

thats funny how a loose gas cap will turn on the CEL
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

I know it kinda makes me mad, i keep thinking its something huge when i look down and see a orange CEL light. Oh, aside form that is there such thing as a red CEL light or any other way of the car communitcating if the problem is getting more sevre ir not?

nope. the CEL just tells you that there is something wrong but doesnt say how bad it is.
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

Damn thats one thing Subaru forgot on this car

that would be cool if the car actually told you what was wrong. like you drive really hard and a voice goes "misfire detected on cylinder 3"
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

Quote Originally Posted by Mason View Post
    Damn thats one thing Subaru forgot on this car
    No one has that, iirc. A cel doesnt mean your car has some mechanical defect, it means you have an issue w/ your emissions control devices. Aka, a sensor is broken, a cat needs to be replaced, your gas cap is off, tgv is stuck open, etc etc.

Just go pulled the code. Stop trying to reset your ecu that wont fix anything.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Go to your auto parts store and buy the Actron Pocketscan CP9125 OBD-II code scanner, it's the lightest model, should run you 70 bucks, pays for itself the first time you use it. Scan the code and come back here and say what it is. The scanner will also allow you to delete the DTC and clear the CEL if you wish.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.