Trans/rear dif oil?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Trans/rear dif oil? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What kind of oil goes in each and where can I get it. Please be specific. Also, is there a ...

Trans/rear dif oil?

What kind of oil goes in each and where can I get it. Please be specific.

Also, is there a writeup somewhere on flushing the tranny and rear dif?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

check out redlines oils and yes there are writeups if not here then at scooby mods/cmon man do a search first please.
    un poqito.

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    Personally..... I like to do full-throttle powershifts in my car.... just leave the gas on the floor.. stomp the clutch, throw the shifter, and hold on.
    I also like to scream at 7000RPMs in 1st gear...... and them slam it into reverse, sidestep the clutch, and do backwards 4-wheel burnouts while still moving forward.
    It's fun... try it

I Support ClubWRX
    Moving to Maintenance, service, troubleshooting, and basic repair ...
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by neener View Post
    check out redlines oils and yes there are writeups if not here then at scooby mods/cmon man do a search first please.
    I have run a search all I've gotten is "when should i change my oil" threads. And why should I be expected to goto different forums that I don't even know about? I'm on this forum, I would like someone from this forum to help me out. If you can't/won't help me out than move along. And "check out redline's oils" doesn't narrow anything down. I would like to know weight of oil along with what oils have worked well for others.

There's this amazing thing in the menu bar called The Search Function! Had you bothered to put the words "transmission oil" into it, you would have discovered this thread on the very first page of results:

Change To Syn Gear Oil Now!

Searching for "transmission oil weight" would have netted you this, again on the very first page:

Maintenance, Service FAQ & Factory Recommended Maintenance Schedule

As well, the weight certification requirements are in your owner's manual.
    Last edited by williaty; 12-17-2006 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Adding info

booya?
    un poqito.

Personally..... I like to do full-throttle powershifts in my car.... just leave the gas on the floor.. stomp the clutch, throw the shifter, and hold on.
    I also like to scream at 7000RPMs in 1st gear...... and them slam it into reverse, sidestep the clutch, and do backwards 4-wheel burnouts while still moving forward.
    It's fun... try it

You know, I feel kind of bad, I sounded like Uncle Scotty in my last post. I probably shouldn't have been that mean, but it least it does contain the answers. I was kind of pissy though. Actually, it was the OP's response to you, neener, that angered me.

yea my bad too. honestly. i shouldnt even be saying anything when i get anoyied (sp) of some of the jerks on nabisco, ouch; flames ownself.
    un poqito.

It's fun... try it

It's cool. I got over it. I've got a zillion posts on many other sites but I'm new here. I used to get annoyed by newbs like myself also, so I'm sure it's partly/mostly my fault as well. Got to start somewhere though

With that said, can anyone recommend an oil brand? I went digging and found the owners manual but I'm only about a 1/4 way in and I have so many other things to do that it's just not a priority. I've got to get my other car running so I can sell it but I don't even have time for that. Another car I have needs some small things fixed too. Sheesh, so busy...

Are you inside or outside of the powertrain warranty? That'll determine what I recommend.

Inside years-wise, but outside mileage-wise by about 12k miles. Sucks too because I've got an 02 and have pretty bad clutch chatter.

Then run Uncle Scotty's Cocktail in the transmission. You can find the recipe and thread about it over on NABISCO. Though he's often even more of an ass than I am and doesn't like to explain himself, it turns out he's a lubrication engineer and picked the components of the Cocktail to try and address the.... shall we say unique demands of the Subaru transmission. Almost everyone who has run it has loved it. As soon as my car is outside the powertrain warranty, I'll be pouring it in.

For the rear diff, run Redline 75w90 GL-5 Gear Oil. It's what I'm running and it works for me. Other people have pulled good UOAs from the rear diff with it, so it's a proven choice. DON'T use the Redline 75w90NS GL-5 Gear Oil.

BTW, had you still been in warranty, I would have recommended the Redline 75w90NS for the tranny. It's what I'm running and I'm mostly satisfied with it.

Thank you for the detailed answer. Not too sure how comfortable I am mixing different oils. I don't want to damage my delicate tranny. First time I saw NABISCO I thought it was the cookie/cracker maker hehehe. I guess it's some Subaru forum? Where's the best(read cheapest") place to get the Redline oil from? And is there any close substitute for the redline oils? I live in the sticks and no place locally will have it. That, and anything wearing the name Redline is mucho dinero. But, if it is the best and there's nothing close in comparison I'll spring for it. I need this car to last. I figured out the back seats fold FLAT unlike an outback I saw at the bone yard. Rolling down/up the windows totally clears the condensation too, I'm so happy about that; this car brings a smile on my face

EDIT: Found the Scotty cocktail. $35 for tranny fluid. Yikes... But if it works it's OK in my book. Scotty has like a zillion posts over on that site!
    Last edited by Superorb; 12-18-2006 at 05:42 PM.

NABISCO and NASTYSHACK are derogatory slang for NASIOC, the North American Subaru Impreza Owner's Club. HUGE forum, MUCH bigger than ClubWRX. However, it's pretty much like a middle school chess club with assault weapons and crystal meth.

Like I said, Uncle Scotty creates lubrication solutions for aircraft, so he knows what he's talking about. Basically, he did some research and chose the oils in the Cocktail based on their additive packages. His goal was to make sure the resultant Cocktail had the correct compounds in it to protect the many different kinds of parts in the Subaru tranny.

Redline isn't the only option, but it's pretty much the most respected one unless you're talking strictly race-prep (and you're not).

Does the car need to be lifted and be level, like on 4 stands? I'm in a crappy apt. complex so I don't have all my tools anymore and they're parking lot Nazis. Say I can't even change my oil. They suck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast